WACO, TX — Over 85,000 people are expected to visit Waco this weekend, officials with the city said.
With events like Spring at the Silos, the Texas Food Truck Showdown and an annual disc golf tournament bringing thousands of people to the area, hotel rooms are booked up.
While there may be some hotel cancellations, finding a room at this point will not be easy.
Broken down by the numbers, Carla Pendergraft with the Waco Convention Center said the city expects about 40,000 people to visit for Spring at the Silos, about 25,000 people to visit for the Food Truck Showdown and 1,000 people visiting for the disc golf tournament. This does not include the amount of tourist visiting the city for unrelated events.
Pendergraft said during the month of March, Waco averages about 300,000 visitors.
Spring at the Silos runs from Thursday, March 14 to Saturday, March 16.
The Food Truck Showdown will take place on March 16. Last year, the event was forced to close early due to a severe weather threat. As of Wednesday, the city was still seeking more than 100 volunteers for the event.
The Waco Annual Charity Open disc golf tournament will run from March 14 through March 17.
If you’re headed into downtown Waco this weekend, be aware of the large crowds and road closures.
The following roads will be closed for the events:
Spring at the Silos March 14-16:
- Sixth Street between Jackson Avenue and Clay Avenue
- Webster Avenue between Fifth Street and Eighth Street
- Jackson Avenue between Sixth Street and Eighth Street
Texas Food Truck Showdown March 15 -16
- Austin Avenue between Third Street and Fourth Street
- Third Street Washington Avenue and Franklin Avenue
- Heritage Square Parking Lot
Waco Charity Open Disc Golf Tournament March 15 evening
- University Parks Drive between Franklin Avenue and Washington Avenue