HometownMcLennan County


Suspect who died from self-inflicted gunshot wound identified

Posted at 5:24 AM, Mar 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-27 18:54:24-04

ROBINSON, TX — The 29-year-old man involved in a standoff with authorities Wednesday morning is dead and has been identified by police.

Law enforcement officers from four agencies and firefighters were responding to a standoff in Robinson on Wednesday morning.

The suspect, who lived alone in the residence and was identified as Bryan Dunbar, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Robinson police said officers responded to a medical call around 1:50 a.m.

Police said the incident happened at a home in the 900 block of Heston Circle. Dunbar had called police and said he believed he had been poisoned. Dunbar told officers he did not want to exit the home for fear of being harmed, but tried to get officers to come inside.

Police said at about 6 a.m. tear gas was deployed into the home. The man shot at officers and bullets hit homes in the area.

By 9 a.m., officials were able to make contact with the suspect.

Police said Dunbar had barricaded himself in a back bedroom. Officers tried to get Dunbar to exit the room, but he shot himself in the chest.

Andrew Kendrick lives across the street from Dunbar's home. He was woken up at 2 a.m. by police.

"They knocked on the door, rang the doorbell. They gave me two options, to evacuate or shelter in place," Kendrick said. "I chose shelter in place. I was terrified. I was laying on the floor of my closet."

Kendrick said he laid there for eight hours, praying as he listened to the gunshots outside his home.

"As they were injecting their tear gas rounds, hearing those go off, It sounded like a war zone out there," Kendrick said.

When Kendrick could finally step outside his home around 10 a.m., he realized it had been hit by two bullets.

There's a hole near his front door and another hole in his garage door.

"It's kind of a bizarre thing. It's really surreal," Kendrick said. "I'm just glad that I took cover."

Kendrick said he only spoke to Dunbar once, but he had an odd feeling about him. He said there was a lot of activity at the home on a regular basis.

Lieutenant Tracy O'Connor with the Robinson Police Department said standoff situations are a rare occurrence in their community.

In the nearly 30 years he's been with the city, they've only had about five incidents.

He said having them end with a fatality is even more uncommon.

"This is not what we hope for, we always hope for a peaceful resolution," O'Connor said. "So this is unfortunate, but it does occur."

Kendrick said his thoughts are with Dunbar's family as they continue to process what happened.

"I don't know what was troubling him, but obviously he was a troubled young man and my heart goes out to the family that he left behind," Kendrick said.

Dunbar's body has been sent for an autopsy.