HometownBell County


Killeen Police release raw video of Jan. 10 officer involved shooting during press conference

Officer Reynaldo Contreras
Patrick Warren, Sr.
Posted at 2:01 PM, Jan 19, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-19 15:40:15-05

KILLEEN, TX — The Killeen Police Department held a press conference Tuesday to address the officer-involved shooting that left 52-year-old Patrick Lynn Warren, Sr. of Killeen dead after a psychiatric 911 call on Jan. 10.

Killeen Police Chief Charles Kimble said they would show raw footage from the body camera during their press conference in an effort to show the other side to the story.


Chief Kimble said the 911 caller did ask for a mental health deputy when they called for help, but also informed the 911-call taker that Warren was "aggressive."

Kimble said the responding officer, Officer Reynaldo Contreras, rang the door bell, announced his presence and was invited inside.

Warren became agitated and Contreras exited the home in order to de-escalate the situation, informing dispatch to "hold the channel," which alerts officers to an emergency situation.

Contreras waited outside for other officers to assist but Warren came from inside the house and advanced towards him. In the video, Contreras told him to stop numerous times and to show his hands but Warren continued to advance. Contreras used his Taser. Chief Kimble said Warren appeared to pull out the Taser prongs and continued advancing towards Contreras. Contreras said to stop or he will shoot.

Contreras informed dispatch that shots were fired.

Chief Kimble asked the residents of Killeen to take what you see from the full video and let the investigation takes its course.

Chief Kimble said two officers were dispatched to that call but Contreras arrived to the scene first. Kimble said from all indications, the Taser worked as it was supposed to, and Warren getting back up was "abnormal" behavior.

New video was released on Monday showing Warren interacting with a mental health officer the day before his death. Kimble said he does not know if officers from Jan. 10 knew about that call.

"I'm not here to cast judgment but I don't see where [Contreras] could have done anything else," said Chief Kimble.

Chief Kimble said the department does have training in regards to mental health but sometimes they are "put in situations."

"Whatever help we can get to help keep citizens safe, I'm all for it. I just wonder how this would have been handled with an unarmed mental health professional... I just don't know," said Chief Kimble.

The Texas Rangers are spearheading the investigation into the shooting, while Killeen PD is conducting a separate Internal Affairs investigation.

According to police, around 5:29 p.m on Sunday, January 10, officers with the Killeen Police Department were dispatched to the 1600 block of Carrollton Avenue for a 911 call in reference to a psychiatric call.

When an officer arrived, he encountered an "emotionally distressed man."

According to the department, the officer initially used his "conducted energy weapon," which was ineffective. The officer then discharged his duty weapon during the encounter, striking Warren.

Warren was transported by paramedics to the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center and later succumbed to his injuries.

The officer has been identified as Officer Reynaldo Contreras, a 5-year veteran of the department. Killeen PD says he remains on administrative leave pending the results of the investigation.

Warren's family has since called for the termination and arrest of the officer involved, according to the family's attorney. Lee Merritt, Esq., the Warren family's attorney, says the 52-year-old was unarmed when he was shot and killed.

“They [Warren's family] noticed their loved one deteriorating, undergoing some sort of psychosis. It appears they spoke to medical professionals. They wanted to get him some help," Merritt explained in an interview with 25 News.

In an effort to try and calm Warren, Merritt says someone in the Warren home called the police, which did not go as planned.