HometownBell County


Copperas Cove police chief addresses rampant rumors on social media regarding lockdown

Posted at 12:55 PM, Jan 14, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-14 13:55:37-05

COPPERAS COVE, TX — The Copperas Cove Police Chief posted a message on Facebook on Tuesday regarding the numerous social media rumors about Monday's lockdown at the high school.

He said that on Monday afternoon, the police department received information from a third-party that a student at the high school was in possession of a gun. Officers immediately began to try to locate the student that fit the very vague description given to them.

Police questioned witnesses, and they were finally able to identify a suspect. While investigating, they discovered there was never a gun at the school, but he did have a knife.

Police made the decision to keep the school in lockdown at this time to prevent the free flow of students and parents while they got to the bottom of the incident.

"In law enforcement, there is no such thing as a perfect response regardless of the type of call. These situations require hard decisions that have to be made by both the CCISD and PD without the luxury of having time to analyze the aftermath of public opinion," Chief Wilson said in a Facebook post.

He added that the most important thing is the safety of the students.

"Parents must understand that notification is not at the top of the list especially when we’re still unsure of the situation ourselves. Calling the school and our dispatch center in the middle of a crisis is only taking valuable resources away from helping us get the answers you’re seeking," he said.

He said that at this time, the rumors on social media range from hostages being taken during the incident to students being sent to the hospital to the police department staging a cover up to the "so-called" shooting.

"Today we have detectives going through what seems to be an endless amount of social media comments regarding yesterday’s lockdown to make sure nothing is missed and to follow up on any relevant information. This is valuable time that’s being taken away from other important investigations," the chief said.

He said that the SWAT team was never activated. They did not contact Fort Hood, K-9's, the FBI or any other agencies.

"For those that still have doubt, I ask that you contact me directly to have all your questions and concerns answered instead of leaving misinformed comments below or elsewhere," the chief said.

He lists his direct number as 254-547-8222 ext. 6955.

"Whatever you choose, I do know we and the Copperas Cove community are all much better than this," he said.