Get a tax refund? You may have to give some back!

Posted at 10:42 AM, Feb 10, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-10 11:42:50-05

Should you file your taxes now, or wait?

It's usually not an issue.

But this year, with the state legislature still undecided about the state tax code, it has a lot of people confused.

Right now, the 2018 state tax forms being used do not fully match current state tax law.

Instead, they match federal tax law with all of its acceptable deductions.

The state legislature needs to vote to make the changes and hasn't done that yet.

So, depending on how the legislature handles this, you could get a refund and later have to pay some back.

But, the state's Department of Revenue says whatever the legislature does, tax filers will be protected if changes have to be made.

Spokesperson Ed Greenberg says that would mean more time and relief from interest or penalties if you have to file an amended return.

Greenberg says the state will let you know if there's a change to what you owe or what you received in a refund.

And he says they can guide you through the amended filing process.

So I guess my advice is to see if or how affected you'd be if the state decided not to change tax law and conform with federal tax forms.

And if you're still concerned, maybe it's time to call in an expert.

Copyright 2019 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.