As the start of winter approaches, the Texas Department of Public Safety is encouraging all Texans to make preparations for staying safe.
The department's Northwest Texas region created a list of tips on their Facebook page to assist in that preparation, starting with:
- Checking car battery
- Checking windshield wipers (including appropriate freeze resistant-fluid)
- Checking tire pressure, tire tread
- Checking fluid levels
- Lubricating door and trunk locks to prevent freezing.
In addition, the following is a list of emergency supplies drivers can keep in their vehicle:
- Blankets/sleeping bags
- Extra clothing, including gloves and a hat
- Cell phone, radio, flashlight and extra batteries
- First-aid kit and pocket knife
- High calorie, non-perishable food and bottled water
- Bag of sand or cat litter to provide traction for tires
- Windshield scraper, tool kit, booster cables, tow rope and a shovel.
DPS offers the following additional tips for staying safe during possible winter weather. Check out their entire post below regarding safety tips throughout the winter.
Copyright 2018 KXXV . All rights reserved.