Superintendent J.R. Proctor said Axtell High School was released late due to a vehicle fire in the parking lot on Monday.
The superintendent said that he received a call about a vehicle smoking in the parking lot around 3 p.m. He said when he arrived, a maintenance worker was using a fire extinguisher on the smoke.
The superintendent and a coach at the school grabbed two more fire extinguishers and assisted with putting out the smoke. He said the smoke reached the hood of the Dodge pickup truck, and the fire grew out of control from there.
Leroy Volunteer Fire Department arrived on the scene to put out the fire, and it was out within 20 minutes.
Two other vehicles adjacent to the truck were also damaged.
The superintendent said that the truck was sitting in the parking lot since 9 a.m. The parking lot does have a security camera, and they will be investigating. However, Proctor said he does not suspect foul play, and he believes the fire was due to an electrical problem because of the smell.
No students were outside at the time of the fire, and no one was injured.
Copyright 2017 KXXV. All rights reserved.