Fort Hood: additional crews deployed to help in search for missing man

Posted at 12:44 PM, Apr 12, 2017
and last updated 2018-11-03 15:19:50-04

Fort Hood officials revealed two 911 calls were made shortly after 5 a.m. on Tuesday. One call was from a witness, and the other was from the driver of the vehicle being swept away into Clear Creek.

Water levels have dropped since Tuesday morning, allowing search and rescue teams to access more areas to search for the missing driver on Fort Hood. 

"Because the water continued to reduce, the level of water continued to reduce, we went back to areas to cover some gaps that existed because of the high water level the day prior," Emergency Services Director for Fort Hood Chris Zimmer said. 

Additional search dogs, crews and soldiers have been deployed on Fort Hood to continue the search for the missing driver who was swept into Clear Creek near Turkey Run Road due to flash flooding.

Fort Hood said the missing driver is a man, and the vehicle was a red Ford Focus. The vehicle was found late Wednesday afternoon in the water.

Around 80 emergency personnel are assisting on the search. They said they have found some clothing and debris, but it cannot be determined if it is tied with the missing driver.

They plan on searching Thursday until nighttime. They added that each day they have searched about 6 miles.

According to a press release, the 89th Military Police Brigade and Texas' Task Force One search and rescue teams are conducting their searches based on a deliberate search pattern from an analysis of topography and meteorological conditions.

While the search efforts have proven to be difficult so far, everyone involved said they are proud to be a part of the effort. 

"It means a lot because I know the members of the Fort Hood family and the surrounding cities would be there if I was in the same situation, and so to be there to help out this individual means so much to me," Sgt. Gregory Holmes of the 720th Police Battalion, 89th Military Police Brigade said. 

Two Apache Helicopters, which assisted in the search Tuesday and Wednesday, are continuing to search from the air.

Post spokesman Chris Haug had no immediate details on the person who went missing Tuesday in Clear Creek. However, a Fort Hood statement issued late Wednesday said the missing vehicle had been found but not the driver.

"I want to personally thank the more than 80 emergency responders, including Task Force One search and rescue teams, who have worked tirelessly to support this critical, ongoing effort. We’re doing everything we can to locate the driver and we are very appreciative of the assistance offered and rendered by our Central Texas neighbors.”

-Col. Todd Fox, U.S. Army Garrison Fort Hood commander

All tactical low-water crossing remain closed, as well as Old Georgetown Road at Henson Creek.

State Game Wardens have joined the search effort as of Thursday. Using Sonar and a boat, they are searching Lake Belton and then will head upstream toward West Range Road where Fort Hood search teams are working from. 

As of 7 a.m. Friday, Game Wardens and an U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Park Ranger are in standby mode. They will be prepared to help Fort Hood with the search again if they are called on.

The State Game Wardens did not find anything in their search Thursday upstream on Cowhouse Creek. 

Copyright 2017 KXXV. All rights reserved.