In accordance with Phase Two of reopening announced on Monday by Governor Abbott, bars are able to open there doors at 25% capacity, and restaurants will now be able to operate at 50% capacity.
After two weeks operating at a quarter capacity, local restaurants are celebrating getting to add back more tables into the dining area.
“I grew up in south Waco, born and raised in south Waco, so my heart is here,” said Veronica Trejo-Evans.
“A lot of people come in to order plates, and they say, "Oh, I’m so glad to see you open. I just want to support,"" said Marcia Neal.
Operating at 25% has not been easy financially. In fact, 25% is only enough to pay rent for most small businesses.
“Because we are so small, it has to be full capacity for us to make a profit at all. 10%, 25%, 50%, I mean we only seat 40 people, so if we only take in 20 people, that’s just not gonna get it,” said Neal.
Dos Mundos Spud Shack decided to wait and only open the dining room once they were allowed to hold 50%. Since the shutdown, the restaurant has been operating on take out orders only.
“Due to the size and to make people feel comfortable, make ourselves feel comfortable, just kinda getting acclimated to the new norm and giving people some time,” said Trejo-Evans.
The hope is local restaurants can welcome back some employees who were laid off due to the shutdown. While it's been a long process, local spots look forward to serving Central Texas at full operation some day in the future.
Dos Mundos will not start serving dine-in guests until Monday. Remember even with 25% more capacity than last week, there still may be some longer wait times.