Largo woman says Walgreens fired her for actions involving a belligerent customer

The incident happened on May 15 in Largo
Posted at 7:58 AM, Jun 07, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-07 08:58:05-04

LARGO, Fla. — A Pinellas County woman said she was fired from Walgreens for the way she handled a belligerent customer.

The incident happened in May at the Walgreens on Ulmerton Road in Largo.

Holly Nieporte worked as a cashier for the past five years. She said she was terminated last month.

RELATED: Florida man arrested as he live streams his own crime, hits baby in head

According to a police report, 22-year-old Ryan Greenlee started yelling and acting erratic. He threw several items around the counter and made rude comments to a female customer behind him.

Greenlee was live streaming his actions on Facebook.

"I said 'it's totally inappropriate, you need to leave our store,'" said Holly Nieporte.

According to a police report, Greenlee threw an item that hit a customer holding a baby. The box struck the baby in the forehead causing an injury.

"He took his arm and swiped the whole counter and things went flying and one of the articles hit the baby in the face. The baby is screaming," she said.

Nieporte asked the customer to leave the store. She said she went outside to get the tag number on the man's vehicle, but realized she did not have her phone with her.

She stood behind Greenlee's vehicle until police arrived.

"I did not engage him. I never touched the car. I stood with my arms down," she said.

Nieporte said she was placed on unpaid leave after the incident. Days later, she said management fired her for not following company policy and for getting involved in the incident.

"I still feel like I did the right thing and some times you got to take a stand, you just do. It was a two month old infant that got hit. I’m a mom and a grandma," said Nieporte.

A police report stated Greenlee also battered a male clerk. Police said Greenlee resisted police officers in the parking lot during the arrest.

The police report stated Greenlee was under the influence of an unknown substance.

ABC Action News reached out to Walgreens about the incident. A spokesperson is working on getting us a response.