KANSAS CITY, MO (WDAF/CNN) - A Missouri teen says next time, she'll pay attention to the label after a popular home facial product left her skin red and painful.
The problem mostly cleared up within a day, but she found other accounts of similar problems with the facial mask online.
Lauren Moore is 13.
She's got a collection of at-home facial masks - a popular treat during sleepovers with friends.
After the last party, she had a "Yes to Grapefruit Brightening Unicorn Mask" left over.
"It had caught my eye specifically because of the shiny packaging and how like kiddish it sort of looked, so I thought it might to be fun to try on," she said.
The package says, "if it's tingling--it's working"!
But barely 5 minutes on her face - Lauren says it felt like her face was on fire.
"It stung so bad I could barely open my eyes and my eyes started to water," Moore said.
Thankfully, nearly 24 hours later, her face cooled off and is almost back to normal now.
But after sharing her story with friends on Snapchat, and her mom posting on Facebook, they learned of dozens of other similar complaints with this "Yes To" brand mask.
Friday night, the company posted to its social media, and said it was temporarily pulling the product to investigate.
"It makes me feel like I should probably check the label before using face masks or stuff like that because there are really harmful chemicals that could be in the masks that I hadn't experienced before," Moore said.
But despite the apparent voluntary recall, we still found the unicorn mask at major retailers in the metro on Monday.
The company said in a statement that it is investigating reports about skin irritation resulting from use of the "grapefruit vitamin c glow-boosting unicorn paper mask."
They point out that their products are for adult use, adding that the skin-tightening effects provided by the product are intended for aging skin.
Dermatologists also recommend that people research and spot test skin products before using them.