NewsNational

Actions

Magnitude 7.1 earthquake hits California

earthquake-gty-jt-190705_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg
Posted at 10:43 PM, Jul 05, 2019
and last updated 2019-07-06 12:09:11-04

A magnitude 7.1 earthquake has hit California near the same area as the 6.4 magnitude earthquake that hit the area on the Fourth of July.

The USGS stated there was a 20 percent chance of an earthquake with magnitude of 6 or higher hitting the area in the next week, and an 80 percent chance of a 5 or higher earthquake hitting California.

The chance of a more powerful earthquake hitting the state in the next week was only 9 percent.

The earthquake that hit on Thursday was the biggest earthquake to hit southern California in 20 years.

According to AZ Central, people in Phoenix, Arizona felt the earthquake.