You can save money on school supplies during Texas' Tax Free Weekend.
During the holiday, certain clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks are exempt from sales tax.
Student backpacks sold for less than $100 are included in the tax exemption. Items that don't apply include:
- framed backpacks
- athletic, duffle or gym bags
- computer bags
Specific school supplies sold for less than $100 are also included in the holiday. The list of eligible school supplies include:
- Blackboard chalk
- Book bags
- Cellophane tape
- Composition books
- Folders – expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila
- Glue, paste and paste sticks
- Index cards
- Index card boxes
- Legal pads
- Lunch boxes
- Markers (including dry erase markers)
- Paper – loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board, and construction paper
- Pencil boxes and other school supply boxes
- Pencil sharpeners
- Writing tablets
Tax Free Weekend starts Friday, August 9th and ends at midnight on Sunday, August 11.
For a full list of eligible items, visit the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts website.