WACO, Texas — Fire destroyed a local restaurant that opened during the pandemic.
Madea's Southern Soul Food on 1209 North Loop Drive burned down around 10:40 p.m. Monday, according to the Waco Fire Department.
First opened in 2020 by Waco resident Harlem Walton, the restaurant caught fire after the restaurant's air conditioner was left running overnight, Walton said.
Walton told 25 News he would leave the air conditioner on due to its small size. Its size caused the restaurant to cool at a slow rate.
Walton said he received a call around 10 p.m. Monday that his restaurant was on fire. When Walton arrived, Waco fire was already present putting out the fire.
Walton's friends and family organized a GoFundMe to help reopen the restaurant.
This story is developing with additional information to be aired on 25 News at 5 and 6 p.m tonight.