REAGAN, TX — The Falls County town of Reagan has opened it's arms to embrace their neighbors, the Kelley family.
A fire at their home Wednesday night killed 16 -year-old Tyler Kelley and left his 16-year-old sister, Amy, with severe burns.
One their neighbors, Michael Housewright, attempted to rescue the teens at the Kelleys' home as flames consumed the house.
"I seen her back window light up and looked at my phone and looked back up and saw smoke coming out of the house," Housewright said.
Housewright was sitting on the banks of a nearby pond Wednesday night when he looked up and saw an odd light in a window of the Kelley house. He said he had a bad feeling something had happened.
"[I] ran up to the front door and she came out bawling out, saying her brother's inside and then I ran up to the front door and kicked it open," Housewright said. "[I] ran to the back room he was in and I had to punch a couple of holes in the door to see if I could get it open and when I got it open, a lot of smoke and fire came into my face."
Housewright said there was so much smoke, he had to give up. He'll never forget the life he couldn't save because he believes it never should have happened.
"I was shocked. I didn't, for a guy like him, I didn't think it was his time to go. He was only 16,” he said.
The Reagan Community Center began accepting donations Thursday night for the Kelley family. Donations will also be collected on Saturday at the community center building from 7 to 9 p.m.