The Baylor University Police Department is issuing a warning after receiving information from the Waco Police Department that several burglary of motor vehicles have occurred off-campus in the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to campus over the last three weeks.
On campus, Baylor says they have experienced BMVs in the Eight Street Parking Garage and in the Parking area next to Stacey Riddle.
In the majority of these cases, the suspect(s) checked the vehicles to determine if they were unlocked.
If so, they enter the unlocked vehicle and remove items of value.
Baylor sent a remind of safety recommendations to help protect your vehicle and valuables while you are on or off campus:
- Without exception, always lock your vehicle and close the windows, regardless of the duration of your anticipated stay at any location.
- Leave nothing of value in the passenger compartment. Place valuable items in your trunk. If you do not have a trunk, take your valuables with you.
- Never leave your keys in your car.
BUPD also received two reports of auto thefts from Waco PD that occurred off campus in the areas adjacent to campus.
Recommended safety tips include:
- Always lock your vehicle and close the windows.
- Do not leave your keys in the car.
- It is not recommended that you keep a spare key in the vehicle.
All students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to be alert and cautious of their surroundings on and away from campus. In any active emergency, or if you see suspicious activity on or adjacent to campus, immediately report the incident to BUPD at 254-710-2222 or 9-1-1, or by using the BU Campus Guardian phone app.