HARKER HEIGHTS, TX — The Harker Heights Police Department is reminding residents to lock their cars so they don't become the victim of a crime.
In the last six months, the department has received over 20 reports of stolen vehicles.
Authorities say thieves often go from driveway to driveway looking for unlocked cars. Often times, stolen cars had keys left in the car or left in the car of someone who lives in the same household.
Harker Heights PD is encouraging everyone to follow these steps:
- Lock your car doors
- Do not leave your car unattended warming up or cooling down
- Do not leave valuables out in plain view.
- Remove the valet key from the glove compartment
- Park in well-lit areas
- If possible, park your car in a locked garage
- Consider buying a surveillance system for your home
If you see something suspicious, report it to the department at (254)-953-5400.