Four major airports in Texas were ranked in TSA's list for the top ten airports where guns were found in 2018.
In a new report published Thursday called “ TSA Year in Review: A Record Setting 2018 ,” Transportation Security Administration authorities said staff at the four Texas airports found a combination of 518 firearms in carry-on bags at the airport.
Across the country, TSA found 4,239 firearms in carry-on bags, which is a new record. That averages out to about 11 a day. Of those firearms, 86.15 percent of them were loaded.
TSA can impose civil penalties up to $13,333 per violation and repeat violators will face a higher penalty.
These are the airports with the highest number of firearm discoveries in 2018:
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport: 298 (253 loaded)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport: 219 (193 loaded)
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport: 129 (120 loaded)
- Denver International Airport: 126 (95 loaded)
- Orlando International Airport: 123 (112 loaded)
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport: 117 (115 loaded)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport: 96 (80 loaded)
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport: 93 (76 loaded)
- Dallas Love Field Airport: 89 (83 loaded)
- Nashville International Airport: 86 (80 loaded)
DFW Airport was recently ranked the fourth busiest airport by the Federal Aviation Administration. Houston's George Bush International Airport also topped the list of busiest airports at No. 9.
TSA also reported that it saw a record number of travelers in 2018 — 5.5 percent more than in 2017 — and significant security enhancements.
Ammunition and firearms are not allowed in carry-on bags, but are allowed in checked bags with special instructions. For more information on how to travel through airports with firearms, click here .
Copyright 2019 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.