Killeen ISD voted Tuesday night to include a $426 million bond election on the May 5th ballot. The vote was unanimous.
Killeen ISD Superintendent John Craft walked the school board through a presentation of the bond package at Tuesday's meeting.
"Really this package, $426 million, impacts construction of facilities across the entire school district for years and years to come," Superintendent Craft said.
The first proposition focuses on preparing for growth by building a new elementary school and high school. It will also upgrade campus safety and help campuses meet ADA compliance for teachers and students with disabilities.
"We foresee the need for another high school seeing that three of our four are currently over capacity with our early college high school as well as our career center program being maximized," Craft added.
The second proposition focuses on renovating and consolidating 11 of the campuses that are over 50 years old.
"It allows us to decommission many of our portable building, approximately 50 percent, and it also allows us to accommodate the students for future growth," Craft said.
This bond election package is the first one Killeen ISD has proposed in 16 years. The district has grown by roughly 14,000 students.
But, it could mean homeowners might have to pay on average nearly $15 more per month in property taxes.
So, now it's up to the community.
For more information on the two propositions or how to be sure you're eligible to vote in May, visit www.killeenisdbsc.org .
You can also attend one of the Bond Voter Education Public Meetings:
- Feb. 20, 6 p.m. Harker Heights High School, auditorium (1001 E FM 2410 Rd, Harker Heights)
- Feb. 21, 6 p.m. Killeen High School, auditorium (500 N 38th St Killeen)
- Feb. 22, 6 p.m. Career Center, lecture hall (1320 Stagecoach Road Killeen)
- Mar. 8, 6 p.m. Nolan Middle School, cafeteria (505 E Jasper Dr Killeen)
- Apr. 5, 4:30 p.m. Central Texas College, (6200 W Central Texas Expy, Killeen)
- Apr. 9, 6 p.m. Skipcha Elementary, cafeteria (515 Prospector Trail Harker Heights)
Copyright 2018 KXXV. All rights reserved.