CTX Family speaks out after teen dies in car accident

Posted at 8:26 PM, Sep 21, 2017
and last updated 2017-09-25 23:18:36-04

"I got the first phone call last Sunday and it was just a phone call you never want to receive," Dellsen's Aunt, Jackie Wyett said.

A phone call confining the worst, Wyett's nephew had been in accident.

Kemp was the backseat passenger of a vehicle that was T-boned on Avenue B in Copperas Cove on  Sunday. 

"My sister called me crying saying that he was in the hospital and she didn't know if she was going to make it or not," Wyett said.

And unfortunately, Dellsen Zayd Kemp didn't.

While Kemp was on life support for a few days, he was taken off on Thursday at McLane Children's Hospital after being declared brain dead by doctor's.

"Knowing that your grandson is going through this, but seeing your daughter also crying over her child tore me up," Dellsen's grandmother, Jane King said.

The Copperas Cove Police Department said the driver of the car Kemp was in ran a stop sign and then another car t-boned them.

"My sister got a head stone that had Dellsen Zayd Kemp on there and his dad used to call him his buckaroo so on the headstone it says daddy's buckaroo," Wyett said.

A headstone that's now a reminder of the boy Dellsen was...

"He was just such a wonderful, wonderful kid and you can't get anyone better than him," King said.

Something King said she wanted to make sure he knew, so just before he passed away she had one thing to tell him. 

"I said to Dellsen that I loved him and I called him my number one," King said.

Her number one that will now be represented in the front yard of his home.

"It's a Magnolia Monkey tree and she picked it out because she used to say stop acting like a little monkey," Wyett said.

A little monkey that is now looking down over his family.

Dellsen's funeral is set for noon on Saturday at Grace Christian Center. The family says anyone is welcome to come.

A GoFundMe has been set up for funeral expenses. 

Copyright 2017 KXXV. All rights reserved.