Fort Hood has announced the death of 40-year-old Staff Sgt. Anthony Ray Lovell, who died of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident in Killeen on July 3.
The accident was around 8 p.m. on July 3. Lovell was going southbound in the 300 block of Eighth Street. Police say he failed to negotiate a turn and left the roadway then went airborne and into Nolan Creek. The soldier suffered a fatal head injury and was pronounced dead at 8:38 p.m.
Lovell entered active-duty military service in September 1997 as a cavalry scout. He was assigned to first Battalion, seventh Cavalry Regiment, first Brigade Combat Team, and since March 2015, first Cavalry Division, Fort Hood.
The soldier was deployed to Iraq from April 2007 to June 2008 and September 2009 to August 2010.
Lovell was heavily decorated including:
- Five Army Commendation Medals
- Five Army Achievement Medals
- Six Army Good Conduct Medals
- National Defense Service Medal
- Two Iraq Campaign Medals with campaign stars
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Korea Defense Service Medal
- Two Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbons
- Army Service Ribbon
- Three Overseas Service Ribbons
- Combat Action Badge
- Driver and Mechanic Badge
- Marksman Qualification Rifle Sharpshooter Badge
Copyright 2017 KXXV. All rights reserved.