Family loses dozens of farm animals, belongings in fire

Posted at 2:57 PM, May 09, 2017
and last updated 2018-07-24 21:30:48-04

A couple living in the 9100 block of FM 2409 lost 37 farm animals during a fire late Monday night.

Homeowner Ardell McPherson said he noticed the flames in his backyard around 11:30 p.m.

"When I went outside and saw the bright red light out there, it turned out to be a fire. That's when I called 911 and tried to help," McPherson said.

Two storage buildings with furniture and a barn housing 36 goats and one donkey were destroyed, according to McPherson. The animals didn't survive the blaze but the couple was unharmed.

McPherson said he tried to save the animals before the barn was engulfed in flames.

"I couldn't see anything because the smoke was so thick and I made sure [their cages were all open] and try to get them out of there," McPherson said. 

The Bell County Fire Marshall said the fire was accidental and it started in the barn when something knocked over the heat lamp.

The McPherson's are saddened at the loss of their animals.

"It hurts. There are no words really because they were our babies," McPherson said.

His wife, Joyce, also got emotional when talking about them.

"I just don't understand my poor little animals had to die and I'm heartbroken. I'm very sad," Joyce said.

She is also sad to know they lost furniture and more belongings in the fire. The McPherson's said they didn't have insurance and live on a fixed income.

"Our world is crumbled, we are old, we have no money. We have no way to get anything back. I lost a lot of my medical equipment. I lost my wheelchair which is my mobility because I'm wheelchair-bound," Joyce said.

Two fire departments responded to the fire, including Moffat Volunteer Fire Department and Morgan's Point Resort Fire Department.

The family is receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

If you would like to help, you can call Joyce McPherson at 254-227-7810.

Copyright 2017 KXXV. All rights reserved.