The top-ranked and defending national champion Baylor Acrobatics & Tumbling team (4-1) defeated the eighth-ranked Gannon Golden Knights 287.825-271.320, at the Ferrell Center on Sunday afternoon.
The Bears controlled this meet from the beginning, winning the compulsory event 39.25-38.00, and they never looked back. They went on to win the acro event 29.65-29.30, and ended the first half with a victory in the pyramid event, 29.65-28.95, giving them a 98.55-96.25 lead going into halftime.
The Bears started the second half by winning the toss and tumbling events, 28.85-27.35 and 56.875-52.500, respectively, before ending the meet with a victory in the team event 103.55-95.22. This gave the Bears a 287.825-271.320 victory.
• The Bears won all six events: compulsory, acro, pyramid, toss, tumbling and team routine.
• The Bears posted a season-high final score for the third week in a row.
• The team of Allie Alaman, Kaelyn Cowan, Jena Fisher, Mikea Knox, Hannah Schumacher, and Miranda Girouard came away with a 9.90 in heat 3 of the pyramid event.
• Kiara Nowlin earned a 9.95 in the aerial pass of the tumbling event.
• The team of Lauren Sturm and Kaylee Adams posted a 9.95 in the duo pass of the tumbling event.
• Baylor has scored at least one 10.0 in every meet this season.
• Baylor has won three straight meets.
STAT OF THE DAY
• The team of Kiara Nowlin, Shayla Moore, Miranda Girouard, Allie Alaman, Lauren Sturm, Lexi Amrhein, Kaelyn Cowan, Ceara Smith, Meredith Aldis, Hannah Schumacher, and Madison Sorley scored a perfect 10.0 in the toss heat of the compulsory event.
“I’m happy to get the win, but I think we’re a much better team than what you saw today. We’re going to get after it this week and come back next week, and you’ll see a better team.” – Head Coach Felecia Mulkey
The Bears will host No. 2 Oregon, a rematch of the 2016 NCATA national championship. The meet will take place on Sunday, April 2, at 1:00 p.m. CT.