Baylor volleyball (19-7, 7-3 Big 12) rolled through the Texas Tech Red Raiders (10-16, 0-11 Big 12), 25-19, 25-20, 21-25, 25-22, Wednesday evening at the United Supermarkets Arena.
The win marks the fifth-straight for BU over TTU, giving the Bears a season sweep over the Red Raiders for the second-straight season.
BU picked up its seventh conference win, marking the first time since the 2012 season that the program has recorded seven Big 12 wins.
On a record-night for the Bears, redshirt junior Katie Staiger notched 31 kills, becoming the 14th player in program history to notch 30-plus kills, the first since Tisha Schwartz at Iowa State on Oct. 5, 2002.
Jana Brusek posted a phenomenal defensive effort from the libero position, with her 32 digs setting a new Baylor record for the most digs in a four-set match.
The Baylor squad was able to pull ahead late in the first, hitting at a punishing .417 clip. BU closed the set on a 3-0 run, with kills from Staiger and Aniah Philo, and a block from Nicole Thomas and Philo.
BU didn’t slow much in the second frame, lifted by 12 kills from Staiger. BU cruised to a 25-20 set win, taking a 2-0 lead in the match.
After hitting .417 in the first and .300 in the second, the Bears were held to a .019 hitting mark in the third, with TTU pulling away late, taking set three, 25-21.
In the fourth, the Bears led by as many as six, but had the lead cut back to two at 21-19 and again at 24-22.
BU was able to close out the match in four, using a TTU setting error to clinch the 25-22 fourth set and the 3-1 match.
• Katie Staiger (31 kills, 13 digs) and Aniah Philo (13 kills, 13 digs) each logged double-doubles, notching their 14th and seventh of the season, respectively.
• Staiger’s 31 kills set a new season and career high for the redshirt junior outside hitter.
• Staiger (1,169) passed Ashlie Christenson (1,145, 2007-10) and Anna Breyfogle (1,165, 2006-09) for No. 8 on Baylor’s career kills list.
• Jana Brusek set a new Baylor record for digs in a four-set match, notching 32 digs.
• Nicole Thomas set a new season and career high, with the freshman logging seven kills on a .308 hitting effort.
QUOTE OF THE MATCH
“I was happy to see some good individual performances. Katie gets over 30 kills and Jana did a great job for us defensively. It’s good to see Nicole hitting well and getting more kills. Overall, offensively I thought we did some good things. Defensively, we really struggled. For the first time, our offense really carried us at times tonight. Glad we went four sets without an ace. That just helps feed into our offensive numbers.” –Baylor head coach Ryan McGuyre
STAT OF THE DAY
0 – the number of aces surrendered by the Baylor defense, a first for the team in 2016.
Baylor enjoys another bye weekend before continuing a three-match road trip, travelling to Austin to take on the Texas Longhorns on Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. in Gregory Gymnasium.