DES MOINES, Iowa - Battling cold temperatures, the Baylor track and field team still captured a pair of Drake Relays event titles Friday at Drake Stadium.
In the discus, junior Cion Hicks produced the second-best throw of her season, 174-10 [53.30m], to grab first-place honors. The Copperas Cove, Texas, native recorded her best mark on her third attempt of the day.
To close out the night, the women’s 4x800-meter relay of Jessica Purtell, Maggie Montoya, Chelsea Orr and Olicia Williams cruised to a victory by running the second-best time in school history, 8:34.22. The Bears outraced everyone else in the field by almost four seconds and the only quartet to run at faster time at Baylor was Danielle Bradley, Ruth Waller, Lauren Hagans and Nichole Jones at the Drake Relays in 2007.
Three other relay squads made their way through Friday qualifying to earn a spot in Saturday finals.
The men’s 4x400-meter relay of Brandon Moore, Wil London, Caleb Dickson and George Caddick tallied the fastest qualifying time at the meet by running a 3:06.19. It was the first time Caddick had run on the relay this outdoor season, after battling through an injury.
On the women’s side, the 4x100-meter quartet of Kiana Horton, Taylor Bennett, Juanita Mainoo and Justise Dayries also had the fastest-qualifying time on the day at 44.71
The women’s 4x400-meter relay also qualified for Saturday’s finals, winning their heat in 3:37.87 with the lineup of Taylor Bennett, Kiana Hawn, Ashley Fields and Kiana Horton. Horton anchored the Bears with the best split of the day at 52.74.
- Malik Wilson produced a personal-best time of 10.52 to finish just outside of qualifying for the finals in the 100 meters with a time of 10.52.
- Felix Obi placed third in the triple jump with a best leap of 52-1 [15.87m].
"It was an outstanding day for Cion, especially when you consider the conditions. With how cold it was you didn’t expect to see anything great in the field events. She had a good day and we are really proud of her. It is not easy to win a Drake Relays title, so any time that you do you have got to treasure that moment." - head coach Todd Harbour on Cion Hicks
TOP QUOTE #2
"Our relays really executed well today. Kiana Horton looked great on the 4x4 as she brought them back from third to win the heat. The guys ran well as well. It was a good overall day and it was great to close it out with a win in the 4x800. I am really proud of that group.” Harbour on his relays
On Saturday, the men’s discus kicks things off at 9 a.m. with the sprint medley relay opening the running events at 10 a.m.
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
10. Malik Wilson (SO) - 10.52 (personal best)
12. Rhys Phillips (JR) - 14.27
26. Kiana Hawn (SO) - 1:03.28
1. Baylor (Horton, Bennett, Mainoo, Dayries) - 44.71Q
Women - Prelims
3. Baylor (Bennett, Hawn, Fields, Horton) - 3:37.87Q
Men - Prelims
1. Baylor (Moore, London, Dickson, Caddick) - 3:06.19Q
Women - Final
1. Baylor (Purtell, Montoya, Orr, Williams) - 8:34.22 (second-fastest in school history)
3. Felix Obi (SR) - 52-1 [15.87m]
1. Cion Hicks (JR) - 174-10 [53.30m]
13. Megan SaxvanderWeyden (FR) - 138-0 [42.07m]