SAN ANTONIO, Texas – Baylor women’s golf shot 10-over-par 298 and is in eighth place after Friday’s first round at the 2016 Big 12 Championship, held at The Dominion Country Club.
After shooting two birdies and three bogeys in her first round, Maria Vesga is tied for 13th place at 1-over-par 73. She trails the individual leader of the tournament, Kansas State’s Madison Talley (-3), by four strokes.
Giovana Maymon carded a 2-over 74 in her first round, placing her in a tie for 19th place. Laura Lonardi (+3, 75) is one stroke behind Maymon and tied for 27th place individually. Maggie Beth Byers is tied for 33rd place at 4-over-par 76, and Lauren Whyte (+7, 79) is tied for 44th place.
Iowa State (-1) leads the nine-team field by one stroke with Oklahoma State (E) and Texas (E) tied for second. TCU (+6) sits in fourth place, followed by Kansas State (+7), Texas Tech (+8), Kansas (+9), Baylor (+10) and Oklahoma (+14).
- Baylor leads the field in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.85.
- The Bears recorded 66 pars in their first round to lead the field.
- Giovana Maymon, Maria Vesga and Maggie Beth Byers are all tied for fourth in par-5 scoring at 1-under 4.75.
- Laura Lonardi made 15 pars in her first round and is tied for second in the field.
- Maymon is tied for third pars-recorded with 14 on the day.
STAT OF THE DAY
3 – the number of Bears that shot 1-under 4.75 on par-5 holes to give BU the lead in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.85.
Saturday’s second round begins at 8 a.m. CT. BU is paired with Kansas and Oklahoma. Whyte will be first off the tee at 8 a.m. CT, followed in 10-minute intervals by Byers, Lonardi, Maymon and Vesga, respectively.