Suspect in custody after leading officials on chase through Central Texas

Posted at 3:32 PM, Apr 12, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-12 19:31:45-04

A man is in custody after a high speed chase from Bellmead to Valley Mills Tuesday afternoon.

Several law enforcement agencies were involved in the pursuit that started around 3 p.m.

A spokesperson with the McLennan County Sheriff's Department confirmed a chase started in Bellmead when officers tried to pull over a man for some traffic violations at 4400 Concord Rd.

Bellmead PD said the driver, identified as 21-year-old John William Watson Jr. of Bellmead, was speeding on a local roadway. When officers tried to pull him over, he started to drive erratically. Officials said a passenger was in the car as well.

The passenger jumped out of the vehicle and ran to a grassy median near the intersection of Lopez and Harrison Street. The passenger had not been located as of Tuesday evening.

The suspect was driving a 1990s model GMC Jimmy.

He refused to pull over and sped off, reaching speeds of 100 miles per hour.

Bellmead police, Valley Mills police, and the McLennan County Sheriff's Department were all involved in the chase.

Bosque County agencies were called in to assist in the pursuit, according to a Clifton Police Facebook post.

Clifton PD officers and Bosque County Deputies were prepared to deploy spike strips if the pursuit continued past Valley Mills.

The post said the suspect entered Valley Mills at speeds of 80 miles per hour. 

The chase ended in front of Valley Mills Elementary School around the time school was getting out. No one was injured.

Officials arrested the Watson just before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. He has been charged with reckless driving, evading in a vehicle and bond forfeiture on a marijuana <2oz charge. 

Bellmead PD is asking anyone with information on the passenger's whereabouts to contact Bellmead police.

“It is unfortunate when people choose to run and place others at risk.  I am grateful and appreciative of all the agencies that assisted in bringing the situation to a safe conclusion," said Chief Lydia Alvarado.

Bellmead police are investigating the incident.

This is a developing story.

News Channel 25's Taylor Durden contributed to this story.

Copyright 2016 KXXV. All rights reserved.