TEMPE, Ariz. – Baylor women’s golf tied for eighth place by shooting at 30-over-par 894 at the PING/ASU Invitational. The Bears shot 13-over 301 in Sunday’s final round to move up one place in the team standings.
Laura Lonardi shot 3-over 75 in her final round and finished tied for ninth place at 2-over-par 18. Maria Vesga also shot 3-over 75 in her final round to tie for 17th place at 4-over-par 220. Giovana Maymon finished at 15-over-par 231 to tie for 60th place after carding a 10-over-par 82 in her final round. Lauren Whyte shot 3-over 75 in her final round, climbing five spots to tie for 64th at 17-over-par 233. Maggie Beth Byers (+18, 234) carded a 4-over 76 final round to climb three spots and tie for 66th place.
UCLA (-12) won the tournament by five strokes, with tournament-host Arizona State (-6) placing second. Alabama (-5) finished third, followed by Arizona (+11), Washington (+16), UNLV (+19) and Texas (+27). Northwestern (+30), Baylor (+30) and Washington State (+30) tied for eighth, finishing in front of Oregon State (+32), Colorado (+37), Denver (+49) and Hawaii (+71).
- Baylor tied for eighth in par-3 scoring at 14-over 3.23, tied for ninth in par-5 scoring at 4-over 5.07 and finished 10th in par-4 scoring at 38-over 4.25.
- The Bears made 33 birdies through 54 holes, sixth-most in the 14-team field.
- Maria Vesga finished tied for third in par-3 scoring at 1-under 2.92.
- Laura Lonardi and Vesga each made nine birdies to tie for 10th-most in the field.
- Lonardi finished tied for 14th in par-4 scoring at 2-over 4.07, tied for 16th in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.08 and tied for 23rd in par-5 scoring at 1-under 4.92.
STAT OF THE DAY
2.92 – Maria Vesga’s par-3 scoring average, which tied for third-best in the 78-player field.
“We played against a great field and fought really hard all week,” head coach Jay Goble said. “I’m especially very proud of today. We had very difficult conditions, but we hung in there all day. It rained and was windy with the toughest pins of the week. Laura Lonardi played solid again this week and is ready for her final postseason run.”
Baylor has concluded the regular season and will compete in the Big 12 Championship, April 22-24, at the Dominion Country Club in San Antonio, Texas. Follow the team on Twitter, @BaylorWGolf, for updates throughout the season.