BRYAN, Texas – Baylor men’s golf is in fifth place at the Aggie Invitational after shooting 13-over-par 589 over 36 holes on Saturday at Traditions Golf Club. Play was suspended due to darkness with 12 players still on the course, and the second round will be completed at 7 a.m. CT Sunday.
Freshman Braden Bailey is in third place in the 81-player field at 2-under 142 after shooting 2-under 70 and even-par 72 in his first two rounds. Bailey made five birdies on the back-nine in his first round and three more birdies on the back-nine in his second round, capping his day with a birdie on his 36th hole.
Frederik Andersen carded scores of 2-over 74 and 2-under 70, giving him a total even-par 144 and placing him in a tie for fifth place. Andreas Gjesteby is tied for 38th place at 7-over 151 after carding first and second round scores of 1-over 73 and 6-over 78. Matthew Perrine carded two rounds of 4-over 76 to tie for 42nd place at 8-over 152. Garrett May (+18, 162) is tied for 73rd place following rounds of 12-over 84 and 6-over 78, respectively.
Oklahoma State (-2) leads the field, followed by North Texas (+4), LSU (+9), Arkansas (+11) and Baylor (+13) rounding out the top five. BU is in front of Ohio State (+17), tournament-host Texas A&M (+19), Oklahoma (+22), Kent State (+22), Michigan (+22), Texas Tech (+23), Charlotte (+36), UC Riverside (+37), UTSA (+43) and New Mexico State (+57).
- Baylor is second in the 15-team field in par-4 scoring at 11-over 4.11.
- BU is tied for sixth with 104 pars and ranks seventh with 27 birdies.
- Baylor’s five players combined to shoot 2-over on the back-9 in the second round, with all five players recording multiple birdies.
- BU made 20 birdies on the back-9 compared to seven birdies on the front-9.
- Braden Bailey leads the 81-player field in par-4 scoring at 5-under 3.75 and is tied for third with nine birdies.
- Bailey is tied for 15th in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.75.
- Bailey shot 4-under 32 on the back-9 in his first round, posting five birdies, three pars and one bogey.
- Bailey was one of three players to shoot par or better in both rounds on Saturday.
- Frederik Andersen is tied for sixth in par-4 scoring at 1-under 3.95.
- Andersen is tied for seventh in the field with 24 pars over 36 holes.
STAT OF THE DAY
3.75 – Braden Bailey’s par-4 scoring average, which is best in the 81-player field.
The second round will be completed starting at 7 a.m. CT Sunday, and final round play will begin at 8 a.m. Baylor will be paired with Arkansas and Ohio State. May has the Bears’ first tee time at 8:50 a.m., and he’ll be followed in 10-minute intervals by Perrine, Gjesteby, Andersen and Bailey, respectively.