AMES, Iowa – On Saturday, Baylor's track and field team had 12 athletes earn 14 entries for the running finals at the Big 12 Championships, which will take place Sunday at the Cyclone Sports Complex.
Meanwhile, five other athletes tallied All-Big 12 honors on the second day of competition at the conference's outdoor meet.
To open the day, senior Hunter Brook maintained his seventh-place standing in the decathlon to log his second-straight All-Big 12 accolade. The highlight of Brook's day was a personal-best throw of 127-10 [38.97m] in the discus, which help him rack up a total of 6,149 points.
On the final day of the heptathlon competition, Jenna Pfeiffer moved from sixth to third place to earn the second All-Big 12 outdoor honor of her career. The junior notched a personal-best in the javelin to place second with a throw of 134-7 [41.03m]. That toss helped Pfeiffer post a total-point tally of 5,141.
Pfeiffer's teammate Carly Grandcolas entered the day in third and held onto sixth-place to score the first all-conference accolade of her career. Grandcolas also set a PR in the javelin, which allowed her to finish with a personal-best 4,866 point total for the two days of competition.
In the field events, Cion Hicks recorded a throw of 51-8.5 [15.76m] to place fifth in the shot put and record her second-straight All-Big 12 honor in the event.
On the men's side, triple jump specialist Felix Obi logged a jump of 23-10 [7.26m] in the long jump to snag his first outdoor All-Big 12 honor in that event.
In qualifying on the track, BU was led by a pair of runners, who qualified for two finals each.
Sophomore Trayvon Bromell qualified third in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.09. Ninety minutes later Bromell produced a 20.19 to be the fastest qualifier in the 200 meters.
On the women's side, Tiffani McReynolds began her quest for a third Big 12 100-meter hurdle title by notching the fastest qualifying mark of 12.96. She also will represent BU in the 100-meter dash final, after clocking an 11.52.
Raena Rhone produced a personal-best mark of 52.40 in the 400-meter dash to earn a spot in Sunday's final. Meanwhile on the men's side in the event, George Caddick logged the fastest qualifying time at 46.14 and Richard Gary ran a collegiate-best time of 47.19 to be the eighth and final qualifier.
The BU men and women will each have one runner in the 800-meter final as Brandon Moore was the fastest qualifier on the men's side in a time of 1:49.72 and Olicia Williams qualified second for the women in 2:07.60.
The Bears will also have a male and female representative in the 400-meter hurdles as Kiana Hawn took third in her heat to automatically qualify in 1:02.82 and Nick Ucherek sneaked in as the eighth qualifier on the men's in 54.91.
Maggie Montoya will look to improve upon her second-place indoor finish in the mile as she qualified for the finals in 4:27.50.
Freshman Kevin Harris tallied a personal-best mark of 20.49 to snag a spot in the 200-meter final, along with Bromell.
Bryce Grace got an automatic entry into the finals of the 110-meter hurdles, after only eight competitors entered the event.
- With the bulk of Baylor's point projected to come on Sunday, the Baylor women are currently seventh with 21 points, while the men are ninth with six points.
- By comparison, Baylor's 12 athletes, who qualified on Saturday are three less than qualified last year, but three more than qualified in 2013.
- Kehri Jones was one spot out of qualifying in the 100 and 200-meters with ninth-place times of 11.50 and 23.73.
STAT OF THE DAY
4 - the number of athletes Baylor has who had the top qualifying time in their event on Saturday: Trayvon Bromell (100 meters), George Caddick (400 meters), Brandon Moore (800 meters) and Tiffani McReynolds (100 hurdles).
TOP QUOTE #1
"I thought all of our field event and multi-athletes did a great job. Their efforts got us started and once we got started rolling in the prelims, everybody that we needed to do something today, did what they need to do and got through to the finals. I think we had pretty good day overall. There were no big surprises and no big upsets. We are very pleased and will live to fight another day." - head coach Todd Harbour on the second day of the Big 12 Championships
Baylor athletes will be back on Sunday for the final day of the Big 12 Track and Field Championships. Field events start at 12 p.m. and running events get underway at 3 p.m.
To stay current on all things Baylor Track, follow the team on Twitter: @BaylorTrack.
Total Qualifiers (12 individuals/14 entries)
Women (5 individuals/6 entries)
Kiana Hawn (400 Hurdles), Tiffani McReynolds (100m, 100 Hurdles), Maggie Montoya (1,500m), Raena Rhone (400m), Olicia Williams (800m)
Men (7 individuals, 8 entries)
Trayvon Bromell (100m, 200m), George Caddick (400m), Richard Gary (400m), Bryce Grace (110 Hurdles), Kevin Harris (200m), Brandon Moore (800m), Nick Ucherek (400 Hurdles)
COMPLETE BAYLOR RESULTS
(Q=qualified by heat finish or q = qualified by time for finals)
Note: preliminary places are based on way qualified, not necessarily on time.
6. Tiffani McReynolds (SR) – 11.52Q
9. Kehri Jones (SR) – 11.50 (personal best)
14. Justise Dayries (JR) – 11.99
15. Juanita Mainoo (FR) – 12.09
3. Trayvon Bromell (SO) – 10.09Q
11. Kevin Harris (FR) – 10.47 (ties personal best)
14. Malik Wilson (FR) – 10.54 (personal best)
16. KD Cannon (FR) – 10.58 (personal best)
9. Kehri Jones (SR) – 23.73
12. Justise Dayries (JR) – 24.04
16. Juanita Mainoo (FR) – 24.45
1. Trayvon Bromell (SO) – 20.19Q (ties personal best)
4. Kevin Harris (FR) – 20.49Q (personal best)
10. Malik Wilson (FR) – 20.75 (personal best)
5. Raena Rhone (SR) – 52.40Q (personal best)
1. George Caddick (SO) – 46.14Q
8. Richard Gary (JR) – 47.19q (personal best)
13. Karrie Butler (SR) – 47.82 (personal best)
14. Isaiah Duke (JR) – 47.88
-- Chris Platt (FR) - DNS
2. Olicia Williams (JR) – 2:07.60Q
17. Jessica Purtell (SO) – 2:17.54
1. Brandon Moore (SO) – 1:49.72Q
2. Maggie Montoya (SO) – 4:27.50Q
20. Sofia Pitouli (FR) – 4:39.59
13. Matt League (JR) – 3:57.97
16. Greg Bostick (JR) – 4:03.26
17. Jonathan Tijerina (SR) – 4:03.92
18. Chris McElroy (JR) – 4:10.39
1. Tiffani McReynolds (SR) – 12.96Q
11. Dannielle Davis (SR) – 14.33
12. Kiana Hawn (FR) – 14.35
6. Kiana Hawn (FR) – 1:02.82Q
11. Taylor Houston (SO) – 1:09.23
8. Nick Ucherek (JR) – 54.91q
-- Robert Dutton (FR) - DNS
10. Brianna Richardson (JR) – 19-0 [5.79m]
17. Danielle Davis (SR) – 17-10.25 [5.44m]
7. Felix Obi (SO) – 23-10 [7.26m] (first All-Big 12 honor in event)
5. Cion Hicks (SO) – 51-8.5 [15.76m] (second-straight All-Big 12 outdoor honor) COMBINED EVENTS
Heptathlon #5 - Long Jump
6. Jenna Pfeiffer (JR) – 16-11.25 [5.16m]
8. Carly Grandcolas (SO) – 16-7 [5.05m]
2. Jenna Pfeiffer (JR) – 134-7 [41.03m] (personal best)
9. Carly Grandcolas (SO) – 85-2 [25.97m] (personal best)
Heptathlon #7 - 800 Meters
4. Jenna Pfeiffer (JR) – 2:19.65
6. Carly Grandcolas (SO) – 2:24.69Heptathlon Final Standings
3. Jenna Pfeiffer (JR) – 5,141 pts. (second-straight All-Big 12 outdoor honor)
6. Carly Grandcolas (SO) – 4,866 pts. (personal best and first All-Big 12 outdoor honor)
Decathlon #6 - 110m Hurdles
9. Hunter Brook (SR) – 16.30
Decathlon #7 - Discus Throw
3. Hunter Brook (SR) – 127-10 [38.97m] (personal best)
Decathlon #8 - Pole Vault
8. Hunter Brook (SR) – 12-9.5 [3.90m]
Decathlon #9 - Javelin Throw
4. Hunter Brook (SR) – 165-7 [50.47m]
Decathlon #10 - 1500m
9. Hunter Brook (SR) – 5:05.78
Decathlon Final Standings
7. Hunter Brook (SR) – 6, 149 points (second straight All-Big 12 honor)