SAN ANTONIO, Texas – Baylor women's golf can check another item off its to-do list. Just two weeks after winning the first conference championship in program history, Baylor won its first-ever NCAA Regional title by shooting 22-under 842 over 54 holes at Briggs Ranch Country Club to claim the San Antonio Regional championship.
By winning the regional, Baylor earned a spot in the NCAA Division I Women's Golf Championships, which will be held May 22-27 at Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla. This year will mark Baylor's third all-time NCAA Championship appearance, two of which have come under fourth-year head coach Jay Goble.
BU's 54-hole score of 842 broke the program record for best three-round score in any tournament, surpassing the 846 shot earlier this season at the 2014 Schooner Fall Classic. Hayley Davis became the first-ever BU player to win an individual regional title by firing a school-record 16-under-par 200. Davis' final round of 7-under 65 tied her own school record for lowest tournament round, and she now has six of the seven lowest NCAA Tournament rounds in program history.
Freshman Dylan Kim shot even-par in Saturday's final round to finish in third place at 8-under 208, which goes down as the third-best 54-hole score in program history. Freshman Giovana Maymon shot even-par 72 in the final round to finish tied for 17th place at 1-under 215. Davis, Kim and Maymon all shot par or better in all three rounds at the regional.
Laura Lonardi also shot even-par on Saturday, and she finished tied for 40th place at 3-over 219, while Lauren Whyte's final-round 1-over 73 gave her a 54-hole total of 9-over 225, good for 67th place in the 96-player field.
· Davis now has three top-3 finishes in four career NCAA Regionals.
· Davis now holds Baylor's 18, 36 and 54-hole records, as well as the best individual NCAA Regional and Championships finishes in program history.
· Davis led the field with16 total birdies, and she led in par-4 scoring average at 8-under 3.73.
· Kim had the second-best average in par-4 scoring at 5-under 3.83.
· As a team, BU led in par-4 scoring with an average of 3-under 3.98 and posted the second-best average in par-3 scoring at 2-over 3.03.
· Maymon had an eagle on No. 13, making Baylor one of three teams to have three eagles in the tournament.
· BU had the second-most birdies with 52 over the three rounds. Davis contributed eight birdies in the third round, Kim had four, Whyte and Maymon had two apiece and Lonardi had one.
· Davis had back-to-back birdies on No. 12 and No. 13 and No. 16 and No. 17, and Kim had back-to-back birdies on No. 13 and No. 14.
· As a team the Lady Bears shot 4-under on No. 13, 3-under on No. 16 and 2-under on No. 7 and No. 14.
STAT OF THE DAY
3 – The number of BU players to shoot par or better in all three rounds at the regional – Davis, Kim and Maymon.
Baylor will head to the 2015 NCAA Division I Women's Golf Championships, which will be held May 22-27 at the Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla. Live scoring will be available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on twitter for updates throughout the season.