INDIAN WELLS, CA — No. 6 Baylor men’s tennis (14-2) posted a 5-0 shutout of Idaho (4-7) to open play at the BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Tennis Challenge Friday evening at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif.
The Bears jumped out in front early in doubles action. Johannes Schretter and Constantin Frantzen paired up for the first time this season and captured a 6-2 win at the No. 3 spot. Then, the second-ranked team of Jimmy Bendeck and Sven Lah clinched the opening point with a 6-2 victory on court one.
In singles action, the Bears rolled and went up 2-0 when Frantzen took care of Bence DaRe at the No. 5 spot, 6-0, 6-1. Then, Bendeck downed Bruno Casino, 6-2, 6-0, on court six.
Adrian Boitan clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Valentine Popescu on court three. No. 77 Matias Soto made it a 5-0 win when he defeated Peter Shin, 6-0, 6-3.
To keep up with things all season long, follow the team on social media: @BaylorMTennis.
• Baylor won the inaugural matchup against Idaho and now leads the all-time series, 1-0.
• Baylor is now 13-3 in the doubles point and 13-0 when winning the opening point this season.
• Adrian Boitan won his sixth-straight match, improving to 6-1 in singles action.
• No. 77 Matias Soto is now 11-2 in spring singles play.
• Constantin Frantzen is now 5-0 in spring singles action.
• Jimmy Bendeck and Sven Lah are now 18-2 this season in doubles play.
• Baylor is now 10-5 all-time at the BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Tennis Challenge.
• Baylor won its first match at the BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Tennis Challenge for the third straight year.
STAT OF THE MATCH
4 – the amount of shutout sets in singles play by the Bears.
Baylor continues its run at the BNP Paribas Open Collegiate Tennis Challenge presented by Oracle, facing fourth-seeded and No. 31 California Saturday at 4 p.m. CT at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden in Indian Wells, Calif.