BROKEN ARROW, OK — Baylor women’s golf finished in second place at the 2019 Big 12 Championship with a 54-hole total of 50-over-par 914. The Bears shot 20-over 308 in Tuesday’s final round at Golf Club of Oklahoma.
The runner-up finish tied the second-best Big 12 Championship result in program history and marked the Bears’ sixth top-three finish in the last eight years. No. 32 Baylor (+50) placed behind only No. 2 Texas (+13). The Bears finished in front of No. 18 Oklahoma (+52), No. 24 TCU (+55), No. 37 Texas Tech (+56), Oklahoma State (+60), Kansas (+64), No. 39 Iowa State (+65) and Kansas State (+75).
Sophomore Diane Baillieux earned All-Tournament Team honors for the second consecutive season after finishing in fifth place at 8-over 224. She carded 2-over 74 in the final round, including a back-9 of 1-under with eight pars and one birdie.
Senior Maria Vesga tied for 14th place at 13-over 229 after a final round of 4-over 76, while sophomore Gurleen Kaur tied for 19th place at 15-over 231 with a final round of 8-over 80. Junior Erica Chiang posted Baylor’s final counting score with a 6-over 78 on Tuesday to finish tied for 23rd place at 18-over 234, and freshman Emma Bradley finished in 40th place at 26-over 242 with a final round 10-over 82.
- Baylor ranked second in the field in par-4 scoring at 50-over 4.33, tied for fourth in par-3 scoring at 15-over 3.25 and fifth in par-5 scoring at 15-over 5.25.
- Baylor’s 32 birdies were second-most in the field, and the Bears ranked fifth with 149 pars.
- Vesga tied for second in par-4 scoring at 4-over 4.13, while Baillieux ranked sixth at 6-over 4.20.
- Baillieux tied for fourth in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.08.
- Baillieux tied for the tournament lead with 36 pars across 54 holes, and Vesga tied for 11th with 33 pars.
- Kaur tied for third in the field with 10 birdies over three rounds.
STAT OF THE DAY
9-over – Baylor’s five players combined to shoot 9-over on the back-9 in Tuesday’s final round, which was a 12-stroke improvement over the combined 21-over on the front-9. Baillieux came in at 1-under, while Vesga carded even-par, Kaur and Bradley came in a 3-over and Chiang shot 4-over on the back-9.
Baylor is expected to earn an at-large berth to the 2019 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Tournament, which will be announced at 4:30 p.m. CT on April 24 on Golf Channel. Tournament teams will be sent to four regional sites – Norman, Okla., Opelika, Ala., East Lansing, Mich. and Cle Elum, Wash – and the top six teams at each regional will advance to the NCAA Championship at Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Ark. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.