LAKE CHARLES, LA — Baylor (13-9) went 2-0 on Tuesday with a pair of wins at McNeese State. The Lady Bears are now 4-1 in true road games this season and are 10-1 when an opponent scores two runs or less.
GAME 1: BAYLOR 5, MCNEESE STATE 2
The Lady Bears kept McNeese State off the board until the bottom of the seventh inning behind solid pitching by Sidney Holman, who picked up the win to move to 7-4 on the season and had seven strikeouts, and good defense.
The Cowgirls stranded 10 baserunners, eight them were in scoring position.
Baylor took a 1-0 lead in the top of the third inning off an RBI single by Lou Gilbert that scored Ana Watson who led off the frame with a double.
An inning later, the Lady Bears put up three runs. Nicky Dawson’s double with two outs scored a pair of runs before another RBI single by Gilbert brought Dawson home.
Baylor scored once more in the game in the top of the seventh when Goose McGlaun hit her second home run in two days over the wall in left center field.
GAME 2: BAYLOR 7, MCNEESE STATE 2
McNeese State jumped out to a 2-0 lead, but the Lady Bears responded with a monster fourth inning to secure the five-run win.
Goose McGlaun finished the game 3-for-4 at the plate with an RBI and a run scored. Nicky Dawson also had a multi-hit game as she went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBIs and a run scored.
After the Cowgirls took the 2-0 lead in the third inning, the Lady Bears quickly answered by plating seven runs off seven hits in the top of the fourth.
The first six batters in the frame each recorded a hit. Nicky Dawson and Lou Gilbert each singled before Kassidy Krupit’s single scored Dawson. Goose McGlaun’s single brought Gilbert home, and Ellis’s single brought another Lady Bear home.
Madi O’Neal then beat out the throw at first for a bunt single to load the bases before Josie Bower was plunked to score McGlaun. Ana Watson also had an RBI in the frame.
In Dawson’s second time at the plate in the inning, she singled to left field to bring home a pair of runs.
Sidney Holman came on in relief in the third inning and picked up the win. She finished with one hit allowed and eight strikeouts in 4.1 innings of work.
- Sidney Holman threw 185 pitches on Tuesday and gave up a combined two runs off nine hits with 15 strikeouts and four walks.
- Baylor’s seven runs in the fourth inning of the second game were the most scored in a single frame all season and the most since April 10, 2018 against McNeese State when BU plated seven runs in the sixth inning in a 10-2 victory.
- The Lady Bears finished with 10 hits in each of the contests against McNeese State. It marked the fourth and fifth times BU has recorded double digit hits this season and first time all year it has happened in back-to-back games.
- Goose McGlaun finished 6-for-8 at the plate with a pair of RBIs and a home run. The homer marked the 27th of her career.
- Nicky Dawson has reached base safely in every game this season, moving her on base streak to a career-high 22 games.
STAT OF THE GAME
15 – Number of strikeouts Sidney Holman recorded.
Glenn Moore on the day…
“We had two solid performances tonight in all aspects of the game. I was extremely impressed with Sidney Holman as she was as dominant as she’s been this year. She proved she has the great stamina throwing three games in two days.”
Baylor returns home for the first time in nearly a month for a week full of games. The Lady Bears host Houston for a doubleheader on Tuesday, March 19. Baylor then faces Central Arkansas at 6 p.m. Wednesday before opening the Big 12 slate March 22-24 at home against Oklahoma State.