WACO, TX — The Baylor Bears have walked away with the Big 12 Coach of the Year and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Awards.
Matt Rhule has been named the 2019 Chuck Neinas Coach of the Year.
Rhule has led the Bears to a 11-1 record and the 2019 Big 12 Championship Game.
This comes two years after an 1-11 record.
James Lynch was named Defensive Player of the Year and Defensive Lineman of the Year.
The #Big12 leader in sacks (10.5) and Baylor’s all-time sack leader, DL James Lynch is the @Big12Conference Defensive Player of the Year AND Defensive Lineman of the Year #SicEm pic.twitter.com/P8K1XcIZud— Baylor Football (@BUFootball) December 4, 2019
He lead in the Big 12 in sacks, and is Baylor's all-time sack leader.
The Bears will be well represented in the All-Big 12 First and Second Team.
Defensive lineman Bravvion Roy, wide receiver Denzel Mims, and defensive lineman James Lynch were selected to the All-Big 12 First Team.
Six players were selected to the All-Big 12 Second Team. Those players are:
- Offensive lineman Sam Tecklenburg
- Linebacker Terrel Bernard
- Linebacker Clay Johnston
- Defensive back Grayland Arnold
- Fullback Koby Bullard
- Defensive back Chris Miller
Seven players were selected as honorable mentions. Those players are:
- Quarterback Charlie Brewer
- Running back Jamycal Hasty
- Defensive back Jameson Houston
- Defensive lineman James Lockhart
- Linebacker Blake Lynch
- Offensive lineman Xavier Newman-Johnson
- Wide receiver Tyquan Thornton