The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a Thursday warning to consumers and parents over a suffocation hazard with multiple Leachco, Inc. products made for infants after multiple infant deaths were reported the agency says.
The U.S. CPSC says to stop using Leachco's Podster, Podster Plush, Bummzie and Podster Playtime (the “Podsters”) infant loungers. The agency also said the beds now need a required warning notifying the public right away of the potential suffocation hazard.
According to CPSC two previous reports of infant deaths have been received. The agency said that the two infants were placed in a "Podster" and suffocated when they changed position and their noses and mouths were obstructed either by the "Podster" or another object. The infants were 17-days-old and 4-months-old.
CPSC says that it has advised parents and caretakers that the best place for a baby to sleep is on a firm, flat surface in a crib. A firm surface in a bassinet or a play yard is also safer. The agency says that infant loungers like Leachco's "Podster" are not safe for infants to sleep on, and says that babies should always sleep on their back.
CPSC says they are considering filing an administrative complaint in order to further protect consumers from the hazard.
In a statement Leachco, Inc said that the company "rejects CPSC's claims," and wrote that their "Podster" product is "specifically designed to help with daytime care of awake infants for the countless times each day when parents and caregivers need to free up their hands for the activities of daily life."
On Wednesday, U.S. product safety regulators issued a recall for 333,725 Mushie & Co. FRIGG Silicone Pacifiers after they were found to present a choking hazard for babies. It was discovered that the nipple on the product has a fine slit that can cause it to detach from the plastic shield.