NewsNational

Actions

USDA: Trump administration extends free meals for kids for entire school year

default.png
Posted at 11:40 AM, Oct 10, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-10 12:43:37-04

U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue announced Friday that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is extending flexibilities to allow free meals to continue to be available to all children throughout the entire 2020-2021 school year.

USDA previously extended child nutrition waivers through December 2020 based upon available funding at the time.

The flexibilities extended will allow schools and other local program operators to continue to leverage the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and the Seamless Summer Option (SSO) to provide no cost meals to all children, available at over 90,000 sites across the country, through June 30, 2021.

USDA can extend these waivers due to language in the continuing resolution signed into law by President Trump last week, USDA said in a press release.

“As our nation recovers and reopens, we want to ensure that children continue to receive the nutritious breakfasts and lunches they count on during the school year wherever they are, and however they are learning,” said Secretary Perdue.

USDA is extending waivers through June 30, 2021, that:

  • Allow SFSP and SSO meals to be served in all areas and at no cost;
  • Permit meals to be served outside of the typically required group settings and meal times;
  • Waive meal pattern requirements, as necessary; and
  • Allow parents and guardians to pick-up meals for their children.

"These program flexibilities allow schools and local program operators to operate a meal service model that best meets their community’s unique needs, while keeping kids and staff safe," the USDA announcement said.

Additional flexibilities are being granted on a state-by-state basis, as required by law, to facilitate a wide range of meal service options and accommodate other operational needs.