NewsNational

Actions

Good boy! Sammy the dog saves family of 5 from house fire

default.png
Posted at 9:08 AM, Dec 09, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-09 10:08:52-05

SAVANNAH, GA — A hero dog saved the lives of five people during a house fire in Savannah, Georgia on Friday night.

Around 12:30 a.m., firefighters arrived to the blaze and later learned that Sammy's barking woke up the family so they could get out of the house.

"Sammy, one of the household pets, alerted the 5 people inside to the fire raging at the rear of the home," said Savannah Fire Rescue.

All of the family members escaped unharmed, said the department. But sadly, three other family pets died in the fire, including another dog and two cats.

The fire was most likely caused by a freezer inside the home, according to officials.