TxDOT maintenance crews will apply pretreatment to Central Texas bridges and overpasses Friday morning in preparation for possible winter weather this weekend.
Crews will treat areas district-wide. TxDOT's Waco District includes McLennan County, Bell County, Falls County, Limestone County, Hamilton County, Hill County, Bosque County and Coryell County.
The mainlanes through the I-35 4B project in Waco will also be pretreated.
The treatment is a brine solution that helps prevent ice and snow from sticking to the road. Elevated roadways experience freezing temperatures first.
Personnel will monitor the forecast and adjust as conditions warrant.
If you are traveling during winter weather, here are some tips:
- If you can, avoid unnecessary travel
- If you must travel:
- Buckle up
- Reduce your speeds; allow yourself more time to reach your destination
- Increase your following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you
- Be extra cautious on bridges, overpasses, ramps, turns and shaded areas that usually freeze first
- Do not use lane control or lane assist
- Slow down and move for emergency vehicles