COPPERAS COVE, TX — Copperas Cove ISD will no longer provide a 3-year-old pre-kindergarten program beginning with the 2020-2021 school year.
The district announced it is required to provide a full-day pre-kindergarten program for all eligible 4-year-olds in response to the statewide initiative known as House Bill 3.
In the 2020-2021 school year, CCISD will transition from the current half-day program for 3 and 4-year-olds to a full-day program for 4-year-old students only.
For a student to be eligible for the full-day program, children must turn 4 years old on or before September 1, 2020 and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Is unable to speak and comprehend the English language;
- is educationally disadvantaged;
- Is a homeless child, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 11434a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child;
- Is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority;
- Is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201 Family Code; or
- Is the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as:
- A peace officer under Section 3106.002 Government Code, a firefighter under Section 3106.003 Government Code, or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004 Government Code
The 4-year-old pre-kindergarten program and Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) services will continue to be provided at the Mae Stevens Early Learning Academy, located at 302 Manning Drive.
Beginning with the 2020-2021 school year, CCISD will no longer provide a 3-year-old pre-kindergarten program. The district said it has reached out to private and non-profit centers who provide dy care and early learning opportunities in Copperas Cove to make them aware of the upcoming change in CCISD.
Anyone with questions can contact the CCISD Curriculum Department at (254) 547-1227.