New bill recognizes out-of-state occupational licenses of military spouses

Posted at 3:57 PM, Dec 12, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-12 16:57:20-05

A new bill will allow military spouses moving to Texas to continue to use their out-of-state occupational licenses.

Under S.B. 1200, spouses of military service members can conduct business or hold an occupation in Texas for up to three years without an occupational license issued by the State of Texas.

The change only applies to spouses who are licensed and in good standing in another state that has equal licensing standards.

S.B. 1200 applies to a variety of occupational licenses including social work, counseling, and emergency medical services.

Authors of the bill say the change will allow military families moving to Texas to start work quickly.

To qualify, military spouses will need to first notify the Texas Health and Human Services (HHS) about their intent to practice in Texas. They will then nee to submit a copy of their military ID card and proof of Texas residency.

Once HHS verifies the information and occupational license, HHS will send a confirmation letter, which will allow the spouse to practice their business or occupation for up to three years without a Texas license.