HometownFort Hood

Actions

Border wall funding will not be diverted from Fort Hood projects, says officials

Posted: 10:57 AM, Sep 05, 2019
Updated: 2019-09-05 11:57:26-04
Fort Hood 1.JPG

FORT HOOD, TX — Fort Hood Representatives John Carter (TX-31) and Roger Williams (TX-25) released a statement Wednesday saying that funding for the border wall would not be diverted from Fort Hood projects.

This comes after the Pentagon notified lawmakers that certain military construction projects in their districts could be deferred or delayed in order to divert $3.6 billion in funding to build the Border Wall. The money was slated to come from 127 military projects that had previously been appropriated by Congress, including $1.8 billion from overseas projects and $1.8 billion from projects in the United States and American territories.

“After having many discussions with the Administration, and speaking with Deputy Secretary Norquist on Tuesday, I’m pleased to report that funding will not be diverted from Fort Hood,” Representative Carter said. “As the top Republican on Military Construction Appropriations, I support the President’s mission to secure the southern border, but not at the expense of Fort Hood Soldiers or their families."

Representative Williams added that he was pleased Fort Hood projects would continue without any delay or disruption. "I commend President Trump for doing everything within his power to secure our Southern border and protect Texans," said Williams.

According to ABC News , a senior defense official said the administration is currently in discussions with Congress to recover the $3.6 billion that has been diverted for the 175 miles of wall.