NewsLocal NewsMichael Dean: Search for Answers


10 years later: A timeline of the Fort Hood shooting that took the lives of 13 people

Posted at 11:21 PM, Nov 04, 2019
and last updated 2020-12-01 12:18:59-05

FORT HOOD, TX — On November 5, 2009, 39-year-old Army psychiatrist Major Nidal Malik Hasan killed 13 people and injured 32 more during a shooting spree at Fort Hood.

A memorial ceremony is being held at 1 p.m. Tuesday and is open to the public. The ceremony is being held at the Fort Hood Memorial Pavilion.

The shooting

On that Thursday afternoon, Hasan shouted "Allahu Akbar" and then opened fire into a crowd inside a processing center with a semi-automatic pistol. The center was filled with soldiers who were about to be deployed overseas or were receiving medical screenings after returning from deployment.

The shooting lasted 10 minutes before Hasan was shot by civilian police and taken into custody. Hasan was left paralyzed from the waist down.

The victims

Chief Warrant Officer Michael Grant Cahill (Ret.) of Cameron, Texas

Major Librardo Eduardo Caraveo of Woodbridge, Virginia

Army Staff Sergeant Justin DeCrow of Plymouth, Indiana

Captain John Gaffaney of San Diego, California

Specialist Frederick Green of Mountain City, Tennessee

Specialist Jason Dean Hunt of Tipton, Oklahoma

Sergeant Army Krueger of Kiel, Wisconsin

Private First Class Aaron Thomas Nemelka of West Jordan, Utah

Private First Class Michael Pearson of Bolingbrook, Illinois

Captain Russell Seager of Racine, Wisconsin

Private Francheska Velez of Chicago, Illinois

Lieutenant Colonel Juanita L. Warman of Havre De Grace, Maryland

Specialist Kham Xiong of St. Paul, Minnesota

The trial

One week after the shooting, Hasan was charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder.

On December 2, 2009, Hasan was charged with 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

He was arraigned on July 20, 2011.

On June 8, 2012, Hasan's hearing was rescheduled after he arrived to court with a beard, which is a violation of military regulations.

A military appeals court halted the murder case indefinitely on August 17, 2012, in order to determine whether the Army could forcibly shave Hasan's beard. Hasan made the argument that his religion requires he wear a beard.

A military appeals court ruled on October 18, 2012, that Hasan could be forcibly shaved.

Hasan was ruled physically fit to represent himself during his court-martial on June 3, 2013.

The court-martial began on August 6, 2013.

The verdict

On August 23, 2013, a military jury convicted Hasan of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. Five days later, after two hours of deliberation, the jury recommended the death penalty.

Timeline courtesy of CNN.