Central Texas heart condition survivor shares emotional story - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Central Texas heart condition survivor shares emotional story

At 53 years old, Ellis found out she had a heart condition. (Source: KXXV) At 53 years old, Ellis found out she had a heart condition. (Source: KXXV)
(KXXV) -

It's a big event in Central Texas meant to raise awareness regarding heart disease and strokes among women. The "Go Red for Women" luncheon will take place Thursday. It's being held at the Waco Convention Center.

The event is being hosted by the Waco Division of the American Heart Association. Virginia Ellis will be the featured survivor speaker at the event.

"If my story can help one person, it's just a blessing to me," Ellis said.

At 53 years old, Ellis found out she had a heart condition.

"I was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy. I was actually in very good health," Ellis said. "I never went to the doctor because I was actually never sick. I didn't have any history in my family, I wasn't expecting it."

But she's grateful doctors caught it when they did. Fortunately, the now 59-year-old has the problem under control.

"When they first diagnosed me, my heart was working at 30-percent. But now, it's working at 35-percent. I have a defibrillator, I have medication and have just learned me about taking care of myself and my heart," Ellis said.

To give you a perspective on this issue, it's estimated 44 million women in the United States are affected by heart disease and strokes. In fact, it's considered the number one and number five killers among women.

"Listen to your body, listen to what your body is telling you," Ellisa said. "Go to the doctor, you don't have to be sick to go to the doctor. Go to wellness checks, those doctors are there for a reason," Ellis said.

Former first daughter, Jenna Bush Hager, will be the keynote speaker at the luncheon. The event is sold out and more than 900 people are expected to attend.

Copyright 2018 KXXV. All rights reserved.

Amazon raising price of annual Prime membership to $119

Thursday, April 26 2018 5:59 PM EDT2018-04-26 21:59:01 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:11 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:11:54 GMT
    Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)Amazon has ventured into other business areas including, shipping and medical care, and now banking. (Source: AMAZON/CNN)

Amazon says it will hike up the price of its Prime membership fee by 20 percent next month.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:10 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:10:57 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."

Suspect in serial killings was obsessed with lawn care

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 7:09 PM EDT2018-04-26 23:09:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.