Central Texas heart condition survivor shares emotional story - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Central Texas heart condition survivor shares emotional story

At 53 years old, Ellis found out she had a heart condition. (Source: KXXV) At 53 years old, Ellis found out she had a heart condition. (Source: KXXV)
(KXXV) -

It's a big event in Central Texas meant to raise awareness regarding heart disease and strokes among women. The "Go Red for Women" luncheon will take place Thursday. It's being held at the Waco Convention Center.

The event is being hosted by the Waco Division of the American Heart Association. Virginia Ellis will be the featured survivor speaker at the event.

"If my story can help one person, it's just a blessing to me," Ellis said.

At 53 years old, Ellis found out she had a heart condition.

"I was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy. I was actually in very good health," Ellis said. "I never went to the doctor because I was actually never sick. I didn't have any history in my family, I wasn't expecting it."

But she's grateful doctors caught it when they did. Fortunately, the now 59-year-old has the problem under control.

"When they first diagnosed me, my heart was working at 30-percent. But now, it's working at 35-percent. I have a defibrillator, I have medication and have just learned me about taking care of myself and my heart," Ellis said.

To give you a perspective on this issue, it's estimated 44 million women in the United States are affected by heart disease and strokes. In fact, it's considered the number one and number five killers among women.

"Listen to your body, listen to what your body is telling you," Ellisa said. "Go to the doctor, you don't have to be sick to go to the doctor. Go to wellness checks, those doctors are there for a reason," Ellis said.

Former first daughter, Jenna Bush Hager, will be the keynote speaker at the luncheon. The event is sold out and more than 900 people are expected to attend.

Copyright 2018 KXXV. All rights reserved.

FBI Director Wray says Russia continues to sow discord in US

Wednesday, July 18 2018 8:09 PM EDT2018-07-19 00:09:49 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:51 AM EDT2018-07-19 09:51:46 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this Sept. 28, 2017, file photo, FBI Director Chris Wray speaks at his installation ceremony at the FBI Building in Washington. Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin’s denial of election meddling. ...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File). FILE - In this Sept. 28, 2017, file photo, FBI Director Chris Wray speaks at his installation ceremony at the FBI Building in Washington. Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin’s denial of election meddling. ...
    FBI Director Christopher Wray is dismissing Russia President Vladimir Putin's denial of election meddling.More >>

Zuckerberg: Holocaust deniers won't be banned from Facebook

Wednesday, July 18 2018 6:08 PM EDT2018-07-18 22:08:46 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:46 AM EDT2018-07-19 09:46:35 GMT
    Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)Mark Zuckerberg says he doesn't believe Holocaust denial content should be banned from Facebook. (Source: CNN)

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that while he finds Holocaust denial "deeply offensive," he doesn't believe that such content should be banned from Facebook.

Sex abuse victims join hands, accept courage award at ESPYs

Wednesday, July 18 2018 11:20 PM EDT2018-07-19 03:20:36 GMT
    Thursday, July 19 2018 5:27 AM EDT2018-07-19 09:27:39 GMT
    (Photo by Phil McCarten/Invision/AP) Former gymnast Sarah Klein, former Michigan State softball player Tiffany Thomas Lopez and gymnast Aly Raisman, from left in front, and others who suffered sexual abuse accept the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.(Photo by Phil McCarten/Invision/AP) Former gymnast Sarah Klein, former Michigan State softball player Tiffany Thomas Lopez and gymnast Aly Raisman, from left in front, and others who suffered sexual abuse accept the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage.

The women who spoke out against the abuse by Larry Nassar stood together Wednesday night in a powerful and solemn closing to the show highlighting the past year's top athletes and moments in sports.