Baylor Law grad raises money for scholarship in her name - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Baylor Law grad raises money for scholarship in her name

Source: Allison Dickson Source: Allison Dickson
TEMPLE, TX (KXXV) -

Allison Dickson was born with a rare form of muscular dystrophy called Werding-Norman but was diagnosed at 15 months when her parents noticed she was having trouble learning how to walk.

“Doctors told my parents at that point that I may live a year and so that's hard news to hear,” Dickson said.

But she surprised doctors by continuing to thrive as her disease progressed. Throughout school she had many friends, earned all A’s, was a Temple High School football sweetheart. But as graduation was in sight she began to worry about her future.

“Of course I always dreamed about like going off to school but you think how is that going to work," Dickson said.  "You know my parents I need them to help me and I thought how are we going to figure out.”

Allison and her parents went to visit Southwestern and fell in love so they packed their bags and moved into a two bedroom apartment in Georgetown. Everywhere Allison went, even toga parties, her parents came with her and the family was welcomed with open arms. The next dream was Baylor Law School where she graduated number one in her class.

But in 2014 her family’s world was rocked when Allison spent five months in the hospital.

“To be honest I didn’t think I was going to make it," Dickson "It was an eye opener you know I never really let my muscular dystrophy or any of the other things that come along with my disease stop me from doing anything”

Allison said she wanted to leave something behind that would make a difference.

“What would I want my legacy to be how do I want my name to carry on and I think it may just be me but I think all of us hope that in some way we make a difference and that was my intention,” Dickson said.

So she decided to set up endowed scholarships in her name at both alma maters. One is for members of her sorority Tri-Delta at Southwestern and the next is for students at Baylor Law School.

"To be able to give that person a boost and help them achieve their dreams." Dickson said. "Someone like me because both places I enjoyed. I earned and was awarded scholarships through merit and through financial need so I really appreciate that and I hope this is kind of a way for me to pay it forward to the next person."

At a recent stay in the hospital her friend, a fellow Temple High grad and owner of Alamo Drafthouse Dallas Fort-Worth Bill Digaetano gave her a call.

“What if we do a movie night here in Dallas you know and donate the proceeds to the fund for the scholarship," Dickson said. "And I said that would be amazing that's a great idea but I can't really travel so I won't be able to be there”

Digaetano said he would bring the fun to her with his mobile 25 screen and concessions to Temple. The "As You Wish Movie" Under the Stars benefiting Allison's Baylor Law Scholarship in on Friday at the Temple Cultural Activities Center. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. and "The Princess Bride" starts at dusk. The event will have an auction, activities for the kids, food trucks and drinks. Allison said admission is free but donations are gladly accepted.

She says she just wants students to have the same opportunity to learn and grow as she did.

“It's kind of a way for me to, I wouldn't say mentor, but hopefully be a possible influence in their life," Dickson said. "You know and I hope their plus to say I'm a recipient of the Allison Dickson scholarship and be able to kind of spread my story on and say what that means. Hopefully it means something to them .”

Copyright 2016 KXXV. All rights reserved.

Lewandowski on girl with Down syndrome: 'Wah wah'

Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:35 PM EDT2018-06-20 03:35:12 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 6:52 PM EDT2018-06-22 22:52:40 GMT
    Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)Corey Lewandowski, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

A former campaign manager for Donald Trump has created a stir by dismissing a story about a girl with Down syndrome with a sarcastic "Wah wah."

At least 3 "tender age" shelters set up for child migrants

Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:12:25 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 6:48 PM EDT2018-06-22 22:48:09 GMT
    Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

For immigrants, still no word on when they will be reunited

Friday, June 22 2018 6:06 AM EDT2018-06-22 10:06:01 GMT
    Friday, June 22 2018 6:46 PM EDT2018-06-22 22:46:21 GMT
    (AP Photo/David J. Phillip). Jesus Funes, 19-months, cries as his mother, Diva Funes, both immigrants from Honduras, holds him after being escorted back to Reynosa, Mexico, Thursday, June 21, 2018. The family, who was seeking asylum, said they were tol...(AP Photo/David J. Phillip). Jesus Funes, 19-months, cries as his mother, Diva Funes, both immigrants from Honduras, holds him after being escorted back to Reynosa, Mexico, Thursday, June 21, 2018. The family, who was seeking asylum, said they were tol...

About 500 of the more than 2,300 children separated from their families at the border have been reunited since May, a senior Trump administration official says.