Baylor volleyball (15-5, 3-1 Big 12) swept conference foe TCU (10-5, 3-2 Big 12), 25-19, 25-20, 25-19, Wednesday night at the Ferrell Center. The win was the third over a top-20 RPI opponent in the last four weeks.
Since Sept. 17, the Bears have topped Washington State (No. 9), Kansas State (No. 16) and TCU (No. 20).
The three-set sweep was also the first over the Frogs since Nov. 14, 2012 and first win over TCU for head coach Ryan McGuyre in his second season.
In the opening frame, the Bears jumped out to an 11-8 lead after junior Camryn Freiberg and sophomore Ashley Fritcher combined for one of five BU blocks in the first set. BU limited TCU to a .086 attack effort for the 25-19 victory.
The Bears and Horned Frogs traded points to open the second set, then BU rolled out a 13-9 lead to force a TCU timeout. Redshirt junior Katie Staiger added 10 kills to help Baylor earn the 25-20 second-set win.
An ace by senior Morgan Reed opened up a 21-15 advantage, allowing BU to run away with the 25-19 win and 3-0 sweep.
• BU earned its third win over a top-20 RPI team in the last four weeks (Washington State, Kansas State, TCU).
• The sweep was the first BU win over TCU for head coach Ryan McGuyre. The 3-0 win was also the first sweep over TCU since Nov. 14, 2012.
• Katie Staiger tallied at least 23 kills in a three-set match for the second time this season.
• Staiger and Aniah Philo finished with double-doubles against the Horned Frogs, their ninth and fourth of the season, respectively.
• Baylor limited the Horned Frogs to a .108 attack percentage, the lowest for the TCU squad this season.
STAT OF THE DAY
3 – the number of wins over top-20 RPI teams since Sept. 17.
Baylor hosts No. 4 Texas on Wednesday, Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. in the Ferrell Center.