Martin, Cowboys agree to deal - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Martin, Cowboys agree to deal

FRISCO, Texas (AP) - A person with direct knowledge of the deal says the Dallas Cowboys and Zack Martin have agreed to terms on an $84 million, six-year contract extension that will make the two-time All-Pro the highest-paid guard in the NFL.

The deal includes $40 million guaranteed money and will be tacked on to the final year of his rookie contract, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the deal hasn't been announced. Martin will be under contract through 2024.

The sides got close enough to an agreement over the weekend that Martin went through the first two days of mandatory minicamp after missing all nine voluntary offseason practices as negotiations that got serious last year kept dragging.

The $14 million average on the new contract surpasses the $13.3 million average on the $66.5 million, five-year contract signed by Jacksonville's Andrew Norwell in March.

Martin, the 16th overall pick in 2014, was an All-Pro as a rookie when DeMarco Murray led the NFL in rushing for the NFC East champions. He repeated the feat two years later when rookie Ezekiel Elliott was the league rushing leader for another division champion.

The 27-year-old Martin has made the Pro Bowl in each of his four seasons.

___

More AP NFL: http://pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • SportsMore>>

  • Turkey charges father of NBA's Kanter as terror group member

    Turkey charges father of NBA's Kanter as terror group member

    Monday, June 18 2018 3:30 PM EDT2018-06-18 19:30:33 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 10:54 PM EDT2018-06-19 02:54:29 GMT
    Turkey's official news agency says a court has accepted an indictment charging the father of NBA player Enes Kanter with "membership in a terror group.".More >>
    Turkey's official news agency says a court has accepted an indictment charging the father of NBA player Enes Kanter with "membership in a terror group.".More >>
  • Trotz resigns as coach of Stanley Cup-winning Capitals

    Trotz resigns as coach of Stanley Cup-winning Capitals

    Monday, June 18 2018 3:20 PM EDT2018-06-18 19:20:17 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 10:54 PM EDT2018-06-19 02:54:07 GMT
    (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). Washington Capitals head coach Barry Trotz arrives with the team at Dulles International Airport in Sterling, Va., Friday, June 8, 2018, the day after defeating the Vegas Golden Knights in Game 5 of the NHL hockey Stanley Cup ...(AP Photo/Andrew Harnik). Washington Capitals head coach Barry Trotz arrives with the team at Dulles International Airport in Sterling, Va., Friday, June 8, 2018, the day after defeating the Vegas Golden Knights in Game 5 of the NHL hockey Stanley Cup ...
    Barry Trotz has resigned as coach of the Washington Capitals after leading them to the Stanley Cup.More >>
    Barry Trotz has resigned as coach of the Washington Capitals after leading them to the Stanley Cup.More >>
  • Correction: US Open story

    Correction: US Open story

    Sunday, June 17 2018 8:59 AM EDT2018-06-17 12:59:32 GMT
    Monday, June 18 2018 1:14 PM EDT2018-06-18 17:14:04 GMT
    (AP Photo/Julio Cortez). Dustin Johnson misses a putt on the 18th green during the third round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Saturday, June 16, 2018, in Southampton, N.Y.(AP Photo/Julio Cortez). Dustin Johnson misses a putt on the 18th green during the third round of the U.S. Open Golf Championship, Saturday, June 16, 2018, in Southampton, N.Y.
    The toughest test at US Open is getting Shinnecock Hills in the right condition for a memorable final round.More >>
    The toughest test at US Open is getting Shinnecock Hills in the right condition for a memorable final round.More >>
Powered by Frankly