The No. 5 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell 4-3 to No. 9 Mississippi State Sunday afternoon at the SEC Tournament Championship in Tuscaloosa, Ala. at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
The Aggies dropped the doubles point to open the match for the first time at the SEC Tournament. Patrick Kypson and Valentin Vacherot were the first doubles pair off the court, capturing an impressive 6-1 on court three over Florian Broska and Trevor Foshey. Mississippi State took the final two courts to earn the point as No. 15 Nuno Borges and Strahinja Rakic topped No. 6 Jordi Arconada and Juan Carlos Aguilar, 7-5, and No. 61 Niclas Braun and Giovanni Oradini topped Arthur Rinderknech and AJ Catanzariti, 7-5, on the middle court.
The two team split first sets in singles play, but the Bulldogs earned the first singles win to take a 2-0 advantage as Broska bested Barnaby Smith, 6-4, 6-0, on court five.
The Aggies roared back into the match, taking the next three wins to take their first advantage on the day. No. 71 Vacherot bested No. 77 Rakic 6-2, 6-4 on court three. No. 7 Kypson earned the highest ranked win of his collegiate career to even the team match at two-all. Kypson bested No. 2 Borges on the top court, 7-5, 6-4. Moments later the Aggies took the lead as No. 121 Aguilar defeated Braun 7-6(3), 6-1 on court four.
Mississippi State took the final two matches to earn the tournament title. No. 27 Oradini outlasted No. 10 Rinderkench 7-5, 2-6, 6-2 on court two followed by Foshey skirting by Catanzariti 6-4, 1-6, 7-6(6) on court six.
Vacherot and Kypson earned All-SEC Tournament Team honors for their efforts in Tuscaloosa. Kypson and Vacherot went 3-0, all against ranked opponents, in singles play and 2-0 in doubles action.
The Maroon & White will await their NCAA opponent, as they will likely host First & Second Round matches at the Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas. The NCAA bracket will be revealed on NCAA.com on Tuesday, May 1, at 4:30 p.m. (CT).
Visit 12thMan.com for more information on Texas A&M men's tennis. Aggie fans also can keep up to date with the A&M men's tennis team on Twitter by following @AggieMTEN or on Facebook at Facebook.com/AggieMensTennis.
Tennis Match Results
Mississippi State vs Texas A&M
4/29/2018 at Tuscaloosa, Ala.
(Alabama Tennis Stadium)
#9 Mississippi State 4, #5 Texas A&M 3
1. #7 Patrick Kypson (TAMU) def. #2 Nuno Borges (MS) 7-5, 6-4
2. #27 Giovanni Oradini (MS) def. #10 Arthur Rinderknech (TAMU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
3. #71 Valentin Vacherot (TAMU) def. #77 Strahinja Rakic (MS) 6-2, 6-4
4. #121 Juan Carlos Aguilar (TAMU) def. Niclas Braun (MS) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
5. Florian Broska (MS) def. Barnaby Smith (TAMU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Trevor Foshey (MS) def. AJ Catanzariti (TAMU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (8-6)
1. #15 Nuno Borges/Strahinja Rakic (MS) def. #6 Jordi Arconada/Juan Carlos Aguilar (TAMU) 7-5
2. #61 Niclas Braun/Giovanni Oradini (MS) def. Arthur Rinderknech/AJ Catanzariti (TAMU) 7-5
3. Patrick Kypson/Valentin Vacherot (TAMU) def. Florian Broska/Trevor Foshey (MS) 6-1
Mississippi State 20-2; National ranking #9
Texas A&M 22-5; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2); Singles (5, 3, 1, 4, 2, 6)