Belton HS senior achieves perfect score on ACT - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Belton HS senior achieves perfect score on ACT

BELTON, TX (KXXV) -

A Belton High School senior has done what very few are able to do: score a perfect score on the ACT.

On average, fewer than one-tenth of one percent of students receive the glorified 36.

"I'm a little bit of a perfectionist," Belton High School senior Serena Shedore said.

And perfection is what Serena Shedore achieved when she checked her ACT scores in September.

"It said 36, and I started freaking out. I screamed and I told my parents to come to my room," Shedore added.

She started preparing for her September test back in May.

"It was mostly self studying. I never took a course officially. I ordered books online, like test prep books, and so I read through those, and I think the most beneficial thing I did was practice tests," Shedore said.

But, Shedore focuses on more than just school. She holds leadership positions on student council, National Honor Society and Key Club as well as plays the viola in the school's orchestra.

"She's not just all business and you know, like a robot like so many people would think. I mean, she's a person, and she has fun. But, then there's this other side that when it's time to do business, she gets to work," Shedore's former teacher, Richard Tolleson, said.

Now, Shedore is faced with the decision of where she wants to go to college.

"I know that I've worked hard for several years and to know that my score will help me and sets me apart. So, that's a relief to know that all this time, my hours of homework and studying wasn't just for nothing," Shedore added.

"I cannot imagine that there would be a school in the country that wouldn't be tickled to have her," Tolleson added.

Shedore currently has her eyes set on Rice University and eventually medical school.

Shedore is also a National Merit Semifinalist. She took her SAT last week, and with a strong score will hopefully advance to a National Merit Finalist and be eligible for numerous scholarships.

The Latest: Barbara Bush's casket wheeled out of church

Saturday, April 21 2018 10:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:44:47 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:58 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:58:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.

Guests have begun to arrive at St. Martin's Church in Houston for the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.

Barbara Bush was 'first lady of the greatest generation'

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:57:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-04-21 13:14:09 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:56 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:56:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...

President Donald Trump says he doesn't expect personal lawyer Michael Cohen to "flip" as the government investigates Cohen's business dealings.