Retired CTX couple scammed out of thousands of dollars - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Retired CTX couple scammed out of thousands of dollars

GATESVILLE, TX (KXXV) -

A Central Texas woman and her husband were scammed by a local contractor out of $14,000.

"His name's Josh Christian," Bill Barton, the Blanchards' new contractor, said.

"Never had anybody that I couldn't trust like that before. I mean, somebody that lied, I just didn't feel like, well, I've just never had somebody do me like that before. I trusted everybody," Barbara Blanchard said.

Back in June, the Blanchards asked Josh Christian to build a room onto their house because Mr. Blanchard could no longer get to their upstairs bedroom.

"He said he'd do it in two weeks, he could have me a room built in two weeks. And after about four weeks, he never showed up anymore," Blanchard added.

Christian has yet to answer any of the Blanchard's phone calls.

"James had told me not to give him any money before he did any work, but he was such a convincing liar I guess I trusted him," Blanchard said.

Christian told Mrs. Blanchard he was taking her check to set up an account in her name at Higginbotham's for supplies.

"I went up there, and I asked him, did he have an account in my name and he said he didn't have an account at all. He said the only thing he had, he had to pay cash for and he had never opened an account in my name," Blanchard added.

Now four months later, the Blanchards still don't have the room they asked for... but, they have hired a new contractor, Bill Barton, who says what little work Christian did for the Blanchards would never have passed inspection.

"I think it's disgusting what he done," Barton added.

Unfortunately, Barton has since heard this isn't the first time Christian has scammed people out of their hard-earned money.

"The people I deal with at Higginbotham's and Ace Hardware where I have been picking up some of the materials, I know some of the people in there and they asked me who it was, and I told them and they said, oh he's done that to other people, he gets, starts the job, gets so far along and never comes back," Barton added.

"He fell the night before last, and he didn't break anything thank goodness. And we really needed it or we wouldn't have... because I have more house than I can keep clean. But, we really needed a place for him so he could be comfortable," Blanchard said.

The Blanchards have reported this to the Sheriff's Department but wanted to share their story to hopefully prevent others from falling victim to the same scam.

Central Texas News Now reached out to Christian and his family but have not heard back.

Deadly fire shuts down key route to Yosemite National Park

Sunday, July 15 2018 2:04 PM EDT2018-07-15 18:04:23 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 12:45 AM EDT2018-07-16 04:45:33 GMT
    (Andrew Kuhn /The Merced Sun-Star via AP). Crews battle the Ferguson Fire along steep terrain behind the Redbud Lodge along Highway 140 near El Portal in Mariposa County, Calif., on Saturday, July 14, 2018.(Andrew Kuhn /The Merced Sun-Star via AP). Crews battle the Ferguson Fire along steep terrain behind the Redbud Lodge along Highway 140 near El Portal in Mariposa County, Calif., on Saturday, July 14, 2018.

A wildfire that killed a California firefighter has grown quickly and forced the closure of a key route into Yosemite National Park.

Young, joyful France beats Croatia 4-2 to win 2nd World Cup

Sunday, July 15 2018 1:03 PM EDT2018-07-15 17:03:26 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 12:24 AM EDT2018-07-16 04:24:20 GMT
    (AP Photo/Martin Meissner). France's Kylian Mbappe, front, celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, Sunday, July 15, 2018.(AP Photo/Martin Meissner). France's Kylian Mbappe, front, celebrates after scoring his side's fourth goal during the final match between France and Croatia at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia, Sunday, July 15, 2018.
    France won its second World Cup title by beating Croatia 4-2 in a match briefly interrupted by an on-field protest that Russian punk band Pussy Riot later took credit for.More >>

Paraglider charged in Trump resort flight; Finns demonstrate

Sunday, July 15 2018 7:37 AM EDT2018-07-15 11:37:37 GMT
    Monday, July 16 2018 12:05 AM EDT2018-07-16 04:05:37 GMT
    ( John Linton/PA via AP). In this Friday, July 13, 2018 photo, a Greenpeace protester flying a microlight passes over US President's Donald Trump's resort in Turnberry, South Ayrshire, Scotland with a banner reading "Trump: Well Below Par", shortly aft...( John Linton/PA via AP). In this Friday, July 13, 2018 photo, a Greenpeace protester flying a microlight passes over US President's Donald Trump's resort in Turnberry, South Ayrshire, Scotland with a banner reading "Trump: Well Below Par", shortly aft...

Scottish police say they have arrested a man in connection with a Greenpeace protest that breached a no-fly security zone and flew a banner close to the golf resort where President Donald Trump was staying.