Retired CTX couple scammed out of thousands of dollars - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |

Retired CTX couple scammed out of thousands of dollars

GATESVILLE, TX (KXXV) -

A Central Texas woman and her husband were scammed by a local contractor out of $14,000.

"His name's Josh Christian," Bill Barton, the Blanchards' new contractor, said.

"Never had anybody that I couldn't trust like that before. I mean, somebody that lied, I just didn't feel like, well, I've just never had somebody do me like that before. I trusted everybody," Barbara Blanchard said.

Back in June, the Blanchards asked Josh Christian to build a room onto their house because Mr. Blanchard could no longer get to their upstairs bedroom.

"He said he'd do it in two weeks, he could have me a room built in two weeks. And after about four weeks, he never showed up anymore," Blanchard added.

Christian has yet to answer any of the Blanchard's phone calls.

"James had told me not to give him any money before he did any work, but he was such a convincing liar I guess I trusted him," Blanchard said.

Christian told Mrs. Blanchard he was taking her check to set up an account in her name at Higginbotham's for supplies.

"I went up there, and I asked him, did he have an account in my name and he said he didn't have an account at all. He said the only thing he had, he had to pay cash for and he had never opened an account in my name," Blanchard added.

Now four months later, the Blanchards still don't have the room they asked for... but, they have hired a new contractor, Bill Barton, who says what little work Christian did for the Blanchards would never have passed inspection.

"I think it's disgusting what he done," Barton added.

Unfortunately, Barton has since heard this isn't the first time Christian has scammed people out of their hard-earned money.

"The people I deal with at Higginbotham's and Ace Hardware where I have been picking up some of the materials, I know some of the people in there and they asked me who it was, and I told them and they said, oh he's done that to other people, he gets, starts the job, gets so far along and never comes back," Barton added.

"He fell the night before last, and he didn't break anything thank goodness. And we really needed it or we wouldn't have... because I have more house than I can keep clean. But, we really needed a place for him so he could be comfortable," Blanchard said.

The Blanchards have reported this to the Sheriff's Department but wanted to share their story to hopefully prevent others from falling victim to the same scam.

Central Texas News Now reached out to Christian and his family but have not heard back.

The Latest: Barbara Bush's casket wheeled out of church

Saturday, April 21 2018 10:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 14:44:47 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:58 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:58:14 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Attendees arrive at St. Martin's Episcopal Church for a funeral service for former first lady Barbara Bush, Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Houston.

Guests have begun to arrive at St. Martin's Church in Houston for the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush.

Barbara Bush was 'first lady of the greatest generation'

Saturday, April 21 2018 12:04 AM EDT2018-04-21 04:04:04 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:57:58 GMT
    (AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci). Mourners pause as former U.S. first lady Barbara Bush lies in repose during the visitation of former first lady Barbara Bush at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, Friday, April 20, 2018, in Houston.

As the outpouring of tributes continues for Barbara Bush, the general public can pay its respects to the former first lady.

Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'

Saturday, April 21 2018 9:14 AM EDT2018-04-21 13:14:09 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 2:56 PM EDT2018-04-21 18:56:25 GMT
    (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...(AP Photo/Mary Altaffer, File). FILE - In a Monday, April 16, 2018, file photo, Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's personal attorney, center, leaves federal court, in New York. Federal prosecutors said they can give President Donald Trump's person...

President Donald Trump says he doesn't expect personal lawyer Michael Cohen to "flip" as the government investigates Cohen's business dealings.